Astronomy, Photography and Weather
September 27, 2022, 10:28:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Jan.06/07 observations in severe frost

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jan.06/07 observations in severe frost  (Read 318 times)
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« on: January 07, 2009, 01:49:43 am »

As I already said,  two days ago (since Jan.05) arctic air mass occupied Ukraine (and almost all E. Europe). Nevertheless, the sky was clear and I managed to observe for a bit.

First session (Jan.06) 20:10-21:45 EET. Clear sky with little haze, calm, -21C.
Searched for 144P/Kushida (see topic)
Also made several unsucessful attempts to find bright asteroids. Unsucessfull because the Moon interference and horrible icing on the eyepiece.
When I tried to find (2) Pallas, I didn't found it but I have visited some new areas in the sky where I have never been before. Started my star hopping from epsilon Lep, next I have found the stars ipsilon1,2 Eri and HIP 21958 in Caelum (DEC -30*45').
After the session captured a self-portrait using only moonlight (15sec@ISO800)

Second session (Jan.07) 2:05-2:40 EET. Clear sky with haze (possibly Cs) below 40o and a lot of smoke, almost calm, -23C.
Observed lunar occultation of HIP 13892 (6.8mag). I have seen the star 5 minutes before but failed to see the occultation because the setting Moon dived into the layer of haze/Cirrus (?)

I looked in the opposite direction and saw there a lot of smoke/haze/cloudness. My first thought was "What an ugly quality of the sky  Angry " but then I thought "Maybe it can be photogenic?  Roll Eyes " so I captured a few shots. As you can see, the smoke spreads horizontally, I can suppose that it was due to the temperature gradient, because no wind was at the moment. Stars are also visible there, because the sky was clear close to zenith.

I went home but forgot to take an eyepiece so returned outside... and that was certainly a luck!.. I saw light pillars Smiley
(continued in weather&atmospherics section http://astrophotoweather.smfforfree4.com/index.php/topic,881.new.html#new)

Third session. 05:40-06:00 EET
The weather became awful: all sky covered with haze, only several stars visible in zenith, freezing fog became much densier. No chances to see the comet but this night turned into light pillar hunting. Right now I saw some incredible light pillars, I have never seen them so bright.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 04:18:29 am by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 04:28:57 am »

Hey Roman, I like that last photo with the smoke! - looks like you were more bundled up than I was.
BTW I also searched for Kushida, with no luck

Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 04:46:05 am »

Oh, I forgot to ask you something in that last post Roman. What type of mount is your scope on? it seems like it should be an Equatorial mount with the Tripod, but looks like a dobsonian mount. Thanks

I have been struggling with my crappy Equatorial mount scope, I just want a dob. to quickly move through the sky, its not worth the time to polar align and stuff if you arent imaging. I wonder if there is any way to make a dobsonian mount for a short tube? Thanks in advance.

Tyler
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 08:32:04 am »

I have been struggling with my crappy Equatorial mount scope, I just want a dob. to quickly move through the sky, its not worth the time to polar align and stuff if you arent imaging. I wonder if there is any way to make a dobsonian mount for a short tube? Thanks in advance.
If you set your equatorial mount to latitude 90 degrees (so the polar axis is stright up) it will act as an ordinary altaz mount. Motor drives will become useless but had slow motions are still useful.

BTW with a Dob the lower end of the tube swings through the fork.

The Dob started as an easy home build - the platform & fork are really easy to make from good quality THICK plywood, the bearings are the hard bit but even these aren't too much of a problem. Search for "Amateur Telescope Making - Dobsonian Mount", you should be able to find plans & instructions easily enough. You will need some sort of cradle to suspend your tube in but that shouldn't be hard either.
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 01:32:42 pm »

Oh, I forgot to ask you something in that last post Roman. What type of mount is your scope on? it seems like it should be an Equatorial mount with the Tripod, but looks like a dobsonian mount. Thanks
No. That is simple alt-az mount. However if I would buy another scope this year I think I'd prefer an equatorial mount
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 04:38:48 pm »

A great read Roman, The temps you where observing in are almost cruel, but that must make the experience all the more special!. I like the image of you and the snow including the smoke capture which looks very atmospheric. The light pillars must have been the icing on the already freezing 'cake'. Your report says one important thing to me...DEDICATION....which is what I like to see  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 06:16:58 pm »

Your report says one important thing to me...DEDICATION....which is what I like to see  Smiley
Thanks  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum