Astronomy, Photography and Weather
December 05, 2022, 11:35:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

New Year's Eve Planet Conjunction Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: New Year's Eve Planet Conjunction Thread  (Read 3368 times)
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2009, 12:35:53 pm »

Lovely shots Tyler! I bet that the full size version of #1 has all four bodies in it if you look closely - the Two Brightest objects in the Night Sky together with the largest and smallest planets!
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2009, 01:36:32 pm »

Really enjoyed looking through these - it's awful here -I suppose it's the same for most of us in the UK.
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2009, 03:37:46 pm »

Beautiful sunset, Tyler. And everyone's photos here are nice too. Smiley

Today's evening was the compensation for yesterday's bad weather: it is totally clear now!  Cheesy (although -8C).
Have seen Jup.&Merc., catched all 4 on the one shot. Moon & Venus still look brilliant as the sky becomes darker. My observing session is not finished yet. Now I'm going outside with a telescope...

And if the weather will stay as perfect as now for the most of the night, I will recall that there are three comets (144P, C/2007N3, C/2008X4) and Quadrantids just started.  Grin

Clear skies to all  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2009, 04:30:15 pm »

Roman, I really enjoyed watching your video clip with the snow and planets at the same time. That's a special experience to end the year!

John C, The N did look best but since it was already clear at home I decided to stay in Maghera and take advantage of the sky when I had it. Lucky I did because when I ended the session at 18.00 the clouds and fog thickened and nothing could be seen after that time.

Richard, a nice record for the collection. I could picture you running out with the bathrope and slippers in a panic to get an image. I have done the same a few times before....even without shoes  Smiley

Tyler, impressive images. Well done catching all five bodies. Those sunset coloured strips of cloud look incredible. Good to see all the images from various locations around the world!

Good luck with those comets Roman...I'm going afrer Lulin now if I can ever get a clear morning.

Happy New Year!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2009, 06:02:52 pm »

Great going guy's!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2009, 08:02:54 pm »

The N did look best but since it was already clear at home I decided to stay in Maghera and take advantage of the sky when I had it. Lucky I did because when I ended the session at 18.00 the clouds and fog thickened and nothing could be seen after that time.
Probably a mistake - last night was not too bad here, variable transparency but quite good at times especially in the small hours, a patch of thicker cloud 10pm - 1am. Cool (-5.5C min) but no wind, so quite comfortable. A bit of mist in the air which the ****** streetlighting was making luminous, probably helped by reflection from the thick hoar frost which formed on the ground, so the view to the south east was poor (Bushmills & the rest of the village).

Funnily enough it clouded over at dawn (stratocumulus), cleared again at dusk, was reasonably transparent for a couple of hours but the Sc seems to be moving back in now.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2009, 08:42:07 pm »

I wouldn't call it a mistake, it was a good decision because I got to see the conjunction which was the main thing.  Smiley I wasn't planning on observing after the planets set anyway. Need to recharge the physical batteries for some pre-dawn sessions to come.

Cloudy and foggy all day and evening here. Can't even see the Moon!
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2009, 09:27:13 pm »

Roman, I really enjoyed watching your video clip with the snow and planets at the same time. That's a special experience to end the year!
Thanks Martin

Here are the photos from today's evening - the first evening of the year and it was nice!  Smiley

Mercury & Jupiter

All 4 together

(damn, I wrote '2008'. Sorry for that)

Single Moon

And you will ask me "What is this?" This is a view from my window.   Grin Try to find in there 2 natural decorations  Wink

« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 09:29:14 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2009, 10:26:43 pm »

Well done Roman!!!  Wink..love that wide shot with all four. Good job.
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2009, 01:11:30 pm »

Great shot Roman. As Martin said, very tough to get all four in one photo, one of the few that did!
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2009, 01:41:37 pm »

Thanks Martin and Richard.
Now the Sun has set already, and I'm going to observe the planets again. The weather is fantastic now: completely clear!  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2009, 11:49:56 pm »

Lucky you Roman..enjoy it!  Smiley

Here's a short video clip of the Dec 31st conjunction.

Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2009, 12:04:02 am »

Lovely shots Roman, and all of course! Getting all four - or five including Earth - is a great achievement. Well done!
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2009, 10:26:49 am »

Nice video, Martin.  Smiley
Thanks Paul

My shots from Jan.02 evening:

Mercury is higher than yesterday
(the colours in this image became worse after uploading)  Cry

Venus & Moon still looked great together

Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2009, 01:23:30 pm »

Better late than never - here's my best image of the Moon/Venus conjunction:

Canon 5D, 400mm, 1/4 sec at f/5.6, ISO 200. 16:50 UT 31 Dec 2008.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum