Astronomy, Photography and Weather
February 04, 2023, 09:24:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

New Year's Eve Planet Conjunction Thread

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: New Year's Eve Planet Conjunction Thread  (Read 3368 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2008, 03:39:57 pm »

Good luck Paul.

I was going to head to the Lough shore but have aborted that plan. It's clear here though but the sky is in poor shape. I can see Venus and the Moon so things are looking up. Annoyingly the sky behind me in the N is clear and blue but the S looks to have more haze and cloud. It might fizzle out when the Sun goes below the horizon. Lovely red glow from the Sun now, faint pillar and halo present. Freezing outside!
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2008, 04:23:47 pm »

I can see Venus and the Moon so things are looking up. Annoyingly the sky behind me in the N is clear and blue but the S looks to have more haze and cloud.
I've got the same, no realistic chance of seeing J, still less M so I'm not going to the bother of relocating somewhere with a clear horizon. Will have a go at the Venus/Moon conjunction when it's got a bit darker.
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2008, 05:04:08 pm »

The sky above me is completely overcast today, so again I miss the conjunction  Sad
Wow! I wrote that only 4 hours ago. But I forgot that a mirracle can happen on a New Year's night!  Cheesy

It cleared here for a few moments at 17-18h EET and I had a luck to see Moon & Venus.  Smiley

The sky wasn't comletely clear, there was a mixture of medium-thick Ac (which caused haze and hampered the observations of Neptune and Uranus) and patches of Sc (which were moving across, sometimes even obscuring the Moon). Of course I couldn't see Jupiter & Mercury because there were too much clouds low above the SW horizon. The sky looked like this:

A closer shot without clouds  Smiley

Tried a longer exposure to catch the earthshine but the haze was hard to remove

Then it started to snow at 17:40 EET but the planets were still visible! I captured a short videoclip during the snowfall.  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 06:19:32 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2008, 05:33:05 pm »

I'm afraid we have  fog  descending upon us and  it's  miserably cold - would you be better driving  a bit north, Martin.? I suppose you're out there now ,as I write.

I hope you chaps are off the road when  the drinkers start their journeys from house to house and town to town.
Report Spam   Logged
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2008, 06:43:46 pm »

Sky was and is as thick as pea soup here - that's another one the Met Office didn't see coming! So I went up to Killylane to try and get above it but it was still not so good - waited for a passing gap in the clouds and got a few shots. Here's about the best of them....

Nice catches Roman - sounds like you were very lucky!

Not a chance of Jupiter and Mercury of course, but they'll still be there tomorrow.

Paul.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2008, 06:48:05 pm »

Terrible observing conditions here, never really saw the moon and Venus without cloud cover. Got a semi-break about 17.30UT and ran off a few shots, this is one of them. No mission in seeing Jupiter and Mercury.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2008, 07:20:42 pm »

Good work Roman, Paul, and John. Similar conds here. Mer and Jup both hidden by cloud and fog. The crescent Moon and Venus still looked great though. Mostly stayed at wide field....

« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 07:27:13 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

jjb

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2008, 07:56:32 pm »

Good images guys  i got these two of the moon and venus.

jonathan.
Report Spam   Logged
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2008, 08:03:21 pm »

I got a few too but they do look very similar to others & they aren't processed yet. Thin high cloud spreading the light around a bit, thicker towards the horizon, no hope of seeing Jupiter or Mercury .... probably bye-bye Jupiter until Spring is here.
Report Spam   Logged
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2008, 08:43:01 pm »

Hi Richard, The first shot was 1/2s shutter speed at f/5.6 ISO 200, 18mm #2. was at 1s shutter, aperture and ISO were the same, but at 38mm. Hope that helps!

sounds like no one is having luck with this one  Undecided Cry sorry guys! - looks like I might have clear skies, but I will be at work so...who knows if Ill be able to see it let alone image it. great images with the conditions though guys! everyone got some earthshine!
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2009, 12:24:34 am »

Thanks for the exposure info Tyler. I must have the worst sky conditions of all, 30 minutes til sunset and raining heavily. Oh well!!!
Report Spam   Logged
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2009, 12:40:21 am »

Sorry to hear about the weather Richard hope you manage to catch something. I know it's a while to go for you yet but a Happy New Year anyways, lets hope it's a good one!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
rjgjr
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2009, 04:00:52 am »

I spoke too soon, I did have a small clearing for several moments. Funny, I was heading to take a shower (I know that's probably too much information) and I took one last look out the bedroom window, when I saw the moon through the trees. I threw on a bathrobe and slippers and dashed out the door with my camera and tripod, my wife, as usual,  shaking her head the whole time. Not much of a photo, but it does show the movement of the moon above Venus over a period of time as compared to Roman and those in Ireland and Britain. Glad I got a glimpse anyway.

Report Spam   Logged
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2009, 04:46:30 am »

well I guess I got the Luckiest out of all of us! I didnt know I was till I uploaded the photos. The Mercury and Jupiter shot I had no intention in catching them, Just trying to get a cool sunset shot, but to my suprise they showed up!

Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2009, 12:01:23 pm »

Well done Tyler!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum