Astronomy, Photography and Weather
September 27, 2022, 01:11:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A Couple From A Frosty Night

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Couple From A Frosty Night  (Read 799 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: December 05, 2008, 10:28:23 pm »

Just two snaps taken late last night with a severe frost in the air. Some patchy snow still around. Looking towards the MW in the NW. The sky was amazing with the naked eye but the air frost came up red in the exposure.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 01:18:45 am by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 01:23:11 am »

Very atmospheric images Martin, bet I was out cold when those were taken Wink

Martin, in that second image, is that someone standing on the right?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 01:27:24 am by John9929 » Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 10:18:25 am »

The sky was amazing with the naked eye but the air frost came up red in the exposure.
Yeah, amazing wasn't it? 14 hour session with just three short breaks & hardly a cloud to be seen .... I have known better transparency but it wasn't bad once the moon had set. Forecast for similar tonight!

The red skyglow is, I think, streetlighting from tens of miles away. The local stuff looks bad but it doesn't usually pollute the zenith.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 04:31:54 pm »

They are just wonderful images. I've just sat here staring at them. Are they taken with your regular camera and the maximum 30 second exposure ? I think you said that 30 secs. was your max.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 06:49:06 pm »

John C, cheers and yes that was with my Fujifilm S6500 using a 30 sec exp.

John 9929, I don't know what that is on the image. Both images were taken back to back before 03.00 UT. I saw nothing at the time, the night was silent but anyone walking would have been heard due to the ice which covered the ground. I don't know what that is. Maybe a weird bush.

Brian, it sure is great isn't it!, glad to know you were out all night too. It's been clear every night here for some time. I eventually took my eye away from the eyepiece at 07.02 UT this morning after a joyful predawn comet hunt followed by a well deserved hot brew as I watched Ophiuchus and Libra climb out from the morning twilight. At moments like that - life is good  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 07:36:02 pm »

They're lovely shots Martin - I was at the firm's Xmas do last night but spent a bit of time just looking at the sky when I got back - some of the best transparency I've seen in a while - saw an early Geminid shoot through the top of Orion too! Tonight's supposed to be similar, but the trans here plummeted after sunset - hoping for some clearance later.

Paul.
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 07:46:28 pm »

Tonight's supposed to be similar, but the trans here plummeted after sunset - hoping for some clearance later.
There's some high cloud here, looks like "smeared contrail" cirrostratus, and it's mostly to the south east of my location - maybe it's hitting you worse than me.

Metcheck is giving increasing high cloud later in the night. BBC just says "clear sky" but they don't seem to think high cloud matters Undecided

There's probably fog around too - luminous with all the !$*$&! light pollution Angry
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 10:44:17 pm »

Those are amazing photos Martin. The glow on the horizon reminds me of photos shown here recently in the States of the wildfires in Southern California a couple of weeks ago. You sure have brilliant skies there when everything comes together. Excellent shots.

Richard
Report Spam   Logged
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 10:50:02 pm »

Beautiful photos martin. I like the snow on the ground, how much did you get from that snowstorm? The clouds on the horizon really add depth to the image as well, I like it a lot. : )

I noticed that too john, it looks like there is someone standing there facing away with a backpack on or something.
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 11:11:57 pm »

it looks like there is someone standing there facing away with a backpack on or something.
I think it's a shrub or a rock, it's closer than the gate (which would be about 4 feet high) but is nowhere near as tall. And I don't see any evidence of a head.
Report Spam   Logged
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 12:05:06 am »

Maybe it's a 4 foot headless person Grin Spooky looking anyway, I should give that road a bye for a while Martin Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 03:40:18 pm »

It seems that you've got a brilliant night Martin.  Smiley Nice shots. What was the min. temperature BTW?

And I can't understand who are you talking about - I can't see anybody/anything strange on those shots  Huh
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
Steveo74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 04:33:20 pm »

Great captures Martin... Looks really "COOL" with the snow on the ground...  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks,
         Steven..

Visit my Blog http://steviesskyshack.blogspot.com

Visit my Flickr  http://www.flickriver.com/photos/16671294@N07/
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 08:52:57 am »

Lovely couple of shots there Martin
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 05:30:36 pm »

Thanks everyone!

Roman, I'm not sure what the min temp was as I don't have a therm however it was well below freezing. The road was thick with black ice and I had serious trouble even trying to walk on it. The snow further out the road was so physically exhausting to walk through that I was aching the next day. Very cold, but what a sky though.

I reckon the figure is probably a bush of some kind. Note the white form on the road to the L, that's my dog, he didn't see or pick up the scent of another person either.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum