Astronomy, Photography and Weather
June 01, 2023, 12:34:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

One year ago today......

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: One year ago today......  (Read 510 times)
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2008, 06:29:16 pm »

Comet 17P/Holmes went into an extraordinary outburst, this is one of the first images I got of it taken on (I think) October 25th 2007. Spaceweather.com are celebrating with another look at their Holmes Gallery. Check it out and you will see some familiar names. That bright blob behind the hedge is the moon, and even that couldn't hide Holmes. Thanks to SW.com for the image below, I couldn't find the original! What memories of a great comet!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 08:58:35 pm »

That was a memorable night indeed John, if only we'd known what it would lead to!

This was my first image taken at 1926BST on the evening of the 24th Oct 2007 through thin cloud...

Paul.
Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 12:59:57 am »

Yep. this was the first and only (so far) comet I have observed through a telescope and photographed. what a memorable one it was! here was one of my photos: (too bad I didnt have my D40 then!)

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 02:14:53 am »

I will join the list. Here's one of my first images on Oct 24th through high level cloud and bright moonlight. Holmes looked like a Nova that night.

Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 08:23:32 am »

Yeah, I seem to remember we got some clear sky round about then too.  Wink Living in hope.... but listening to the wind howling and the rain lashing Angry
Report Spam   Logged
jjb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 09:13:59 am »

Hard to belive it was 1 year ago any way i got this image of holmes

jonathan.
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 10:09:24 am »

That's one of the best astronomy memories that I have.

I had no camera then, but I had a pencil and a paper, so here are some of my sketches:

November 5th - that was my second observation, because a week after the outburst I hadn't any piece of clear sky

November 18th - the best ever observation! My personal record - 9 stars visible through comet's coma and alpha Persei was just at the edge of the short but wide tail (~30' long)

p.s. magnitude limit on both sketches is approx. 10.0...10.5

Total 18 observations of the comet (even despite the worst ever weather which I had in December), including New Year's eve (Dec.31 at ~20UT), last seen on Jan.27
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 10:12:46 am by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 06:40:29 pm »

Very interesting looking back on all your observations, it was a great and unexpected treat! After a long search through disks of images I came on one of the very first images I took on the evening of October 24th 2007 at 19:41. It shows the comet when the sky was not yet dark. Lets hope for another naked eye comet soon!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 09:42:34 pm »

Lets hope for another naked eye comet soon!
Well, such great things don't occure every year in late October, but who knows...  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum