Astronomy, Photography and Weather
September 29, 2022, 02:34:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

X-Ray Binary 4U 0641+091

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: X-Ray Binary 4U 0641+091  (Read 140 times)
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2011, 12:50:39 pm »

I've been observing this weekend the 'imaginatively' named X-Ray Binary system 4U 0641+019 using the Faulkes Telescope as part of a themed observing programme.  At Xray wavelengths the system displays variability in brightness every ~52 minutes which is the systems orbital period.  It has been suggested for sometime that the optical counterpart of the system, at magnitude 18.5, also displays variability as the jet that comes from the pulsars poles 'flashes' at earth.  Well the purpose of this programme was to use various telescopes around the world to observe the object continuoslly for 48 hours and then do a photometric analysis of the results and see what there was to see...

Well yesterday Faulkes Telescope South wasn't operational due to bad weather - it will come as no surprise to you that it was raining in Australia...  Faulkes Telescope North was operational but was suffering from problems with high humidity, and from the first images of the day it was obvious to me that somewhere in the optical train was suffering from fogging / dewing / condensation (maybe they should invest in some dew heaters  Tongue )  As it's an automated system it finally shut itself down after an hour of imaging, however this mean there was an hour and halfs worth of data.

Using infra red images from the Spitzer telescope archives I was able to locate the object in FTN images, and when I knew where it was set out to do a photometric analysis of it.  Results were interesting to say the least, and are shown below...

I've sent this off to the people at Faulkes Telescope, so will be fun to see what they say...  Today we've managed to get a 2 hour run of data, so fingers crossed will be able to identify this trend again, that's the plan anyway!

Hope you're all well!

Mark Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:45:55 pm »

Good work Mark  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:07:07 pm »

This is incredible Mark, looks like you have collected some serious data on the orbital period, this is truly amazing stuff!
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:27:06 pm »

Thanks guys!  Your kind words are always appreciated Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum