Astronomy, Photography and Weather
February 08, 2023, 03:47:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

2010/2011 winter eclipses

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010/2011 winter eclipses  (Read 1268 times)
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 08:43:20 pm »

Sorry to hear that guys!  Undecided

Poltava was clouded since previous night, and only some semi-transparent gaps allowed to see the Sun for a liitle time after the mid-eclipse.

But I did my first (and successful!) eclipse chase - went 180km NW from Poltava to the town of Pyriatyn, where the sky was mostly clear. There were some transparent Altocumulus present (<15%), but they have just partially obscured the Sun during the last 10-15 minutes before C4. The weather I've experienced was even BETTER THAN AUGUST 2008!
Btw it was cold enough (colder than I expected): -12C on average, and down to -14C at maximal eclipse. I was afraid not as much for myself getting cold, but more for my camera batterries which could die during those 3 hours-long session! Hopefully, I managed to take shots in 15-minutes intervals and other time both cameras were kept inside a warm pocket (and they survived!).
The things I had a luck to observe today are:
  • all stages from C1 to C4, including maximum 79.6% magnitude (both visual and photographic session were 100% successful)  Smiley
  • some small mountains on S & W parts of lunar limb, still nice with my equipment (76mm aperture solar-filtered at 35x)
  • 1+6 sunspots and their occultations
  • definite temperature drop of 2...3°C
  • not very distinct fading of landscape & sky illumination
  • excellent crescent shadows!
  • as weather bonus: huge and very photogenic hoar frost, plenty of clear & dry snow and some iridiscence on the clouds (latter not photographed though)

An event of equal magnitude will occure in Poltava only in 2030, and the closest one (only 55%) is >4 years ahead too. Therefore, I hope to have many more events outside Poltava until those dates!  Grin

P.S. Photoreport to follow in a day or two (I'm excited but quite exhausted right now)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:44:36 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum