Astronomy, Photography and Weather
February 08, 2023, 03:15:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

2010/2011 winter eclipses

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010/2011 winter eclipses  (Read 1268 times)
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2010, 12:14:17 am »

have planned to make a preparational observing session (...) on one of the days within Dec.28-30 or Jan.01-02.
Well, yesterday I have done some preparations for the upcoming eclipse. Though haven't still completely adjusted my telescope - had only a few minutes of clear (but extremely hazy) skies at sunset.
Despite clear skies and -10...-6C have been forecasted for Dec.29/30 night and Dec.30 until evening, in reality it turned out worse. Whole night the sky was 99% clouded with a thin but not transparent layer of Stratus - what a disappointment! And all next day long it was the same - 99% clouded with Stratus, however Sun was visible through it for ca. 10% of the time - that might be called a success if happens on the eclipse day!  Smiley
You can see check out some pictures at my blog. It may seem ridiculois to somebody, but I take into account that I would be probably observing the eclipse during (or just before/after) the snowfall. Actually, it happened to me once - exactly a year ago (partial lunar eclipse 31.12.2009).
Another point I was afraid of was the functionality of my laptop in winter outdoors conditions (-7 degress today, possible -15 on the eclipse day). I grabbed a quick-handmade thermobag, and it worked fine in my opinion: the temperature inside the bag was +7C. At the same time, one of the AA batteries have frozen - and became working only after putting it indoors.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum