Astronomy, Photography and Weather
December 02, 2021, 07:22:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Lough Neagh Freeze - Dec 8th

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lough Neagh Freeze - Dec 8th  (Read 198 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: December 14, 2010, 06:58:42 pm »

For the second time in 11 months large sections of Lough Neagh had frozen over. I took these images from Ballyronan Marina on the NW shore, the place was covered with ice and snow extending several hundred metres across the water to the moored boats and beyond which was amazing. Prior to the epic freeze in Jan 2010 one has to go back 50 years or more to get an ice event here of this standard so getting two in less than a year is really something special. I suspect it will happen a 3rd time within the next couple of months breaking new records.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 09:05:48 pm »

Those are beautiful images Martin!  All the cold and ice has gone from round by me (for now!) - I've read talk of the possibility of the sea starting to freeze around Denmark this weekend with the Polar Vortex about to drop over the top of us.
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 07:41:29 am »

The last one tells me the story, the ducks look frozen in the water! Great shots Martin.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 09:57:33 pm »

Thanks Mark and Richard, I'm glad you mentioned the last one because I wondered if it worked or not, I thought it did but no else mentioned it until now so thanks for bringing it up  Smiley

Looking forward to round 2  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 12:35:28 am »

Amazing images Martin showing another unbelievable freeze at the lough. The extent of that ice is mad and to think you could be back there very soon to image it again, this is an exceptional period of winter weather we are having this past year-who knows whats in store over the next 2-3 months.  Really like no.5 showing the Maid of Antrim moored up in a sea of ice, also the bench shot and second to last looks so cold  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 12:42:08 am »

Thanks very much for the feedback Paul, I'm really hoping for serious photo opps over the next 4 days and nights Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 01:03:28 am »

As usual, some classic shots there Martin and glad that nothing 'dropped off' whilst you were taking them!   Grin

Just thinking that I haven't seen Roman White on here for a while. Wonder what sort of weather he's getting in Poltava at the moment!

Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 10:19:09 pm »

Stunning,Martin. Those poor gulls,great capture with that one . We had the likes of this at the start of they year,now early winter at year end -you have to wonder what's next.
Report Spam   Logged
DaveH64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 12:25:15 am »

Great series Martin. Like the colour explosion in the last.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum