Astronomy, Photography and Weather
January 30, 2023, 04:59:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

BBSO

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BBSO  (Read 123 times)
rjgjr
« on: October 02, 2010, 05:20:43 pm »

On my recent trip to Southern California the wife and I took a drive up to Big Bear Lake east of Los Angeles where I spent many summer nights laying out under the stars as a young teen back in the 60's. I watched them build the Big Bear Solar Observatory over the course of several summers. The elevation of the lake is about 7,000' and I understand they built the observatory out into the lake for atmosphere stabilization. Knowing nothing about solar observing or imaging, I have recently read and seen images of the new 1.6 meter optics that received first light back in July. The Observatory is now run by the New Jersey Institute of Technology. They have limited tours and looks like they weren't observing this day as the structure door was closed. I just thought this might be interesting to some of you!

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 12:28:11 am »

Fantastic stuff Richard!  Big Bear is one of the many places I would love to be able to go along to take a look at.  Thanks for sharing Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Conor McDonald

I will live my dream

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 02:45:51 pm »

That looks like a really cool place indeed. I would love to see the sky from there!
Report Spam   Logged

Canon 500D
18 - 55mm lens
35- 80mm lens
70-300mm lens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcdonald_conor/
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 06:00:31 pm »

Lovely images Richard of a place I would love to visit! The idea of building a solar observatory on a causeway seems to have been copied quite a lot for the reason you suggest. This is the San Fernando Valley Solar Observatory that I visited in 1976, if I can remember correctly the main instrument was 24-inch aperature.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
DaveH64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 06:15:15 am »

Interesting to see, looks a great set up.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 02:12:38 pm »

Very good,Richard,glad you zoomed in too,really interesting.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 03:03:39 pm »

Excellent Richard, I could imagine how clear and steady the atmosphere must be from there - great location and congrats on getting the great images, 2nd and 3rd are fantastic.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum