Astronomy, Photography and Weather
September 27, 2022, 12:45:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Iceland volcano - Ash Cloud to UK

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Iceland volcano - Ash Cloud to UK  (Read 726 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 08:06:11 am »

the ash cloud from the Icelandic volcano is heading right over the UK and airports are cancelling flights
There is a danger from flying right through the ash cloud at a short distance - where the cloud is optically thick - but it takes a lot to stop a jet engine. The recorded examples of engine loss due to volcanic ash have been at ranges of tens of kilometres from the erupting volcano, not hundreds or thousands. Stopping flights in the UK is a gross over-reaction.

OTOH if if means no contrails blotting out the sky, I hope the volcano keeps erupting forever!

I agree,Brian OTT.  What I don't understand is why flights to Europe or even the US can't take off and stay at ,say, 15-17,000 feet (the ash ,I believe, is at 20,000 feet) and then when clear of the zone climb  to the 35,000 feet that the Trans-Atlantic flights travel at, same coming in, get well under the cloud,15,000 feet doesn't pose a danger I wouldn't have thought.What about the planes that us leave Southampton stay quite low and land at Dijon or even further south. Maybe it's my age but I've lost all confidence in authorities whatever body they are.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum