Astronomy, Photography and Weather
October 08, 2022, 12:18:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Weather on Mars!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather on Mars!  (Read 114 times)
brianb

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2010, 12:12:37 pm »

Here's a quick look at an image I made of Mars last night. I'm sure I can improve on this processing but I think it's worth a quick look - especially in this forum as it's got astronomy, photography and weather combined!

2010 Feb 21, 2254 UT. CM 180 degrees, diameter 12.8 arc sec. Transparency good, seeing moderate to poor.
Celestron CPC 1100, 2x Powermate, Astronomik type 2c colour seperation filters, Imaging Source DMK21.

This is the "boring side" of Mars - but note the white clouds on the right (preceding, celestial west) limb which mark the position of Olympus Mons and the other Tharsis volcanic domes. This is orographic uplift cloud, imaged from a mere 67.8 million miles distance!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:14:12 pm by brianb » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 02:37:18 pm »

Superb capture Brian!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 03:47:23 pm »

What a stunner!!!, that's surely got to be your best yet Brian?, stupendous to see images of weather on another alien world. That's a result to be proud of!
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 10:32:23 am »

Thanks guys ... I think my Feb 12 effort was better, this one was sufferring a bit from unsteady seeing & the corrector plate was steadily frosting over. I leave the dewcap on but turn off the heater when imaging at high resolution. This one does show the orographic cloud nicely though.

Last night was a "bust" for imaging - despite forecast for clear sky there was persistent low cloud till 11pm, the seeing was very bad (jet stream I think) & then high cloud spreading in in the early hours.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum