Astronomy, Photography and Weather
December 06, 2022, 03:58:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Unexpected Mars, 02 Feb

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unexpected Mars, 02 Feb  (Read 142 times)
brianb

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2010, 12:50:43 pm »

A somewhat surprising mostly clear evening last night allowed me to image Mars for the first time for several weeks. Though transparency was good (between patches of drifting low cloud) the seeing was poor, with considerable boiling. However, with only a light wind and much lighter than average dewing, I had to have a go:

2010 Feb 02, 2308 UT. CM 351 degrees. Celestron CPC1100, Meade series 5000 x3 tele-extender (f/30), Astronomik type 2c colour seperation & Planet Pro 742 filters, Imaging Source DMK 21 camera.

Top row: LRGB composite using IR (contrast reduced) as luminance; LRGB composite using red channel as luminance; RGB composite; simulation (Starry Night Pro v6.21).
Bottom row: infra red, red, green & blue channels. (900/6000, 600/3000, 600/3000 & 900/3000 frames)

f/30 was too much for the conditions; I intended to make another sequence with a shorter focal length but the seeing deteriorated to awful shortly after this sequence was completed, an hour or so later the cloud closed in completely, terminating the night's activities.

The dust band over the polar cap can be seen, most clearly in the green image, and both morning and evening haze / cloud can be seen - all along the NE limb and just north of the equator at the W.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 06:07:42 pm »

Congrats Brian on another stunning sequence of Mars images during your ongoing battle with the unsteady atmosphere. I can see the dust storm on the polar cap very clearly - excellent result!
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 12:33:44 pm »

Brilliant shots Brian!  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 06:53:07 pm »

Great results Brian!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum