Astronomy, Photography and Weather
December 01, 2022, 06:06:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

ISS/Shuttle Photo Opportunity

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: ISS/Shuttle Photo Opportunity  (Read 605 times)
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 11:31:47 pm »

Here's the pass at 22:09BST. Discovery heading into the shadow.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
jjb

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 12:04:16 am »

Heres my efforts,nice image john and a good video paul i took a image of the 20-35 one but it got washed out.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 07:03:25 am »

Great shots all round guys!
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 07:29:19 am »

Great shots gentlemen. Only 30 minutes after sunset for our best pass tonight, much too light. The next was clouded over. Good to see some enjoyed the view.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 03:39:58 pm »

Great images guys!!  Smiley

I didn't get any because of the mist and LP in the low sky here, high pressure is killing the quality of the sky each night now. Will be watching both passes this evening anyway.

Would love to have seen the comet-like plume from Discovery as featured on SW today...

http://spaceweather.com/submissions/large_image_popup.php?image_name=Clair-Perry-_MG_4652xSW_1252547311.jpg
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 03:59:18 pm »

That's very interesting Martin. My guess would be that the image catches the RCS engine test - see this page....

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 09:43:29 pm »

Here's some shots from tonight's pass...

Jupiter and Moons in a very hazy sky at 2051...

Shuttle Discovery - very faint at 2059...

ISS two minutes later - much brighter, with an Easyjet coming in to Aldergrove below...

Paul.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 10:22:42 pm »

Nice shots in very difficult conditions Paul, I like the halo around Jupiter too. The sky has that atmospheric Halloween look to it.

The sky here is awful - I hate high pressure, thick murk, mist, LP, and even high level cloud which I had expected for several days now. Only the very brightest of stars are visible, a waste of a night from my location. I couldn't even see Jupiter earlier. Only thing left to look for is the small chance of a fogbow from the rising Moon. Bring back low pressure!

Will try a visual obsv of the next ISS pass shortly anyway.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 11:26:14 pm »

I don't know if they have landed yet, but as of 21:17BST tonight they were still there about five minutes ahead of the ISS. If you did'nt know to expect them you would never have noticed! They are of course the faint horizontal trail in this 30 second exposure. The other trail is a satellite. The bright blob is Jupiter.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
rjgjr
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 03:13:04 am »

Great shots Paul. Love the Easy Jet pass. Great shot John with Jupiter and a hint of the Milky Way against the background.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2009, 08:49:29 am »

Great additions Paul and John!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2009, 02:14:03 pm »

An image of the ISS from last night, I merged two together to get a longer trail. Seen Discovery also but it was very faint and barely registered on the scale of the 28mm frame.

That's a very nice image John, attractive atmospheric glow from Jupiter too.
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2009, 02:54:28 pm »

Nice shots!

I got Discovery last night at 2117 but like others noted that it very dim. The ISS eight minutes later was its excellent bright self!

Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2009, 03:33:00 pm »

I thought I would post my last observed images of Discovery/ISS from the evening of 10 Sep now that they are permanently separated a bit more in distance. These were taken facing NW about 1 hr 20 min after sunset hence their shorter exposures. They were about 3 min apart. One added note, I talked to my mother last night who lives about 75 miles south as the crow flys from Dryden Spaceflight Center at Edwards AFB and she said the twin sonic boom was about as loud as she had ever heard. I remember when we were still down there and there was an occasional sonic boom from military aircfraft, but you know for sure when the Space Shuttle is annoucing it's approach, it's an incredible experience for hundreds of miles anywhere near its flight path. It definitly makes you sit up and take notice!!

Report Spam   Logged
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2009, 05:30:05 pm »

Great shots guys and thanks for the comments. We certainly had this one well covered. Don't forget that there's another ATV up there at present but over the last couple of nights it's been low and faint. I'm sure Heavens-Above.com will have times up by now.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum