Astronomy, Photography and Weather
December 06, 2022, 02:08:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Jupiter Occults 6th Mag Star - August 3rd - Rare Event

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jupiter Occults 6th Mag Star - August 3rd - Rare Event  (Read 241 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: August 01, 2009, 02:34:09 pm »

From Terry Moseley, IAA: "There will be quite a rare event on 3 August, when Jupiter will occult the 6th magnitude star 45 Capricornii, at about 23.50 BST (the exact time depends on your location). The star is one of the brightest that Jupiter will ever occult during our lifetimes, so this will be interesting to watch, and video. The star will be a bit fainter than Callisto, the faintest of the 4 Galilean moons. It will disappear behind the Southern limb of the planet, at about the position of the SSTB (South South Temperate Belt). Jupiter will be only 11 days before opposition, so the phase effect will be negligible: in other words the star will disappear behind the illuminated edge of the disc, but of course there will be considerable limb darkening, as the Sun will be setting on Jupiter's horizon at this point. And of course Jupiter will be retrograding as it approaches Opposition, so the star will be occulted on the planet's WEST limb, and will reappear at the EAST limb. The 4 Galilean moons will also be visible, lying in the plane of Jupiter's equator, so there's no chance of mistaking them for the star. Closest in to the planet on the same side as the star will be Europa, which will actually go into eclipse in Jupiter's shadow at 00.47 (on the 4th), and then Io. Ganymede and Callisto will be much further out, on the opposite side of Jupiter. The event will last until about 01.50, again depending on your location."

More here...

http://www.iota-es.de/jupiter2009/jupiteroccultation.html

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 10:58:55 am »

Many thanks for the reminder Martin!  Smiley

Oops, I see the British Isles will have horribly unfavourable weather on that night, but Ukraine will not, so I'm going to observe it.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 08:38:05 pm »

I'm sorry for the late report...  Embarrassed

I sucessfully observed this rare event from my home with 76mm Newt. @56x (most comfortable magnification). The event was a hard one, of course, but what a beauty it was!  Roll Eyes

D at 01:55.6±1.2 min
R at 03:47.5±1.0 min (all times EEST)

Also I had photographed it on two nights.

Aug. 02/03, 01:34 (24.4 h before D)
Bright stars are 42 and 44 Capricornii, and there is the Jupiter with 5 moons.    Wink

(Olympus SP-550UZ, 1x 1.3sec@ISO1600 f/6.3, 18х zoom + digital/crop, contrast adjusted, unsharp mask)

Aug. 03/04, 23:11 (2.7 h before D)

(Olympus SP-550UZ, 1x 1sec@ISO1600 f/6.3, 18х zoom + digital/crop, contrast adjusted, unsharp mask)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 08:39:45 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 03:36:07 pm »

Extremely well done Roman!. I like your attention to detail and your dedicated observation of all things in the sky. Great result.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 07:21:47 pm »

Thanks Martin.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum