Astronomy, Photography and Weather
February 04, 2023, 08:12:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

2009 Noctilucent Cloud Season

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 Noctilucent Cloud Season  (Read 15804 times)
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 24, 2009, 12:04:00 pm »

Rather more cloud than you
Yeah, that looks like the lot that moved in on me after my VS session terminated at 0230 BST due to increasing sky brightness. I was hoping to image Jupiter when it got round to the south but the seeing in the patches between the cloudlets was abysmal - Jupiter's limb looked like a Guernsey 3d bit most of the time, and it was impossible to see anything other than the major belts. Annoying as the seeing had been pretty steady during the "night".
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: June 24, 2009, 12:24:44 pm »

Very nice images guys, Brian the display you got looked alot better than what I saw here.  Smiley

Observed NLC display from 01.20 - 03.30 BST, peaked at type 3 bightness with white/slight blue coloured herringbone, with soft-edged/diffuse bands and whirls all visible in advanced twilight. Didn't take any images, it soon became mixed up in alto cu trop cloud. Venus however looked spectacular low in the NE being very red in colour due to atmospheric extinction.
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: June 24, 2009, 03:04:16 pm »

I have some snaps from the timelapse camera - OK, but nowhere near last week's displays. Will post later.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 24, 2009, 03:48:59 pm »

Here's another one of those ripples taken a few minutes later. Just before they were washed out by the dawn some of that "stuff" at the top of the image was over near the zenith.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: June 24, 2009, 04:46:38 pm »

i still don't know when exactly to look, in late late late twilight? or just twilight
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: June 24, 2009, 06:32:06 pm »

Hi Tyler, look in the twilight arch when the Sun is between 6 and 16 degrees below the horizon, any time when the stars appear within the twilight really. Don't worry because if there's a display visible then you will certainly know it, especially if it's a bright one. Keep watching, you could get lucky some of these nights!
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: June 24, 2009, 08:27:49 pm »

Here's the vid from last night's display.....

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: June 24, 2009, 09:27:06 pm »

That's very nice Paul!!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: June 25, 2009, 12:01:25 am »

NLCs being reported from Germany again tonight.
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 25, 2009, 03:14:45 am »

June 24/5: NLC negative but there was a persistent band of tropospheric cloud / sea fog? low in the north east which may have hidden a minor display.
Report Spam   Logged
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 25, 2009, 03:30:38 am »

Very minor display observed from Maghaberry, some ripples and waves but nothing special. Got a couple of images just to record it. Max alt about 2 degrees below Capella. Thick low cloud rolled in and put an end to observation.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
rjgjr
« Reply #221 on: June 25, 2009, 03:21:41 pm »

Hi Tyler, I've been chomping at the bit to see some NLC's from here in the States too, I just don't think it's going to happen. You're at about 41 N latitude and I'm at about 42.5 N, I think we're pretty much outside the realm of visibility, not to say that it's not possible. I read somewhere that 45 N is about the southern limit, give or take a little. Having never seen any, I relly don't know what I'm looking for either. Everytime I see something  after sunset it turns out to be just high, thin cirrus fading very quickly with the sunlight. I'll just have to continue enjoying the marvelous NLC images on the forum.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: June 25, 2009, 03:56:35 pm »

Observed a poor NLC display last night (June 14/15th) between 01.00 - 02.00 UT in the NW to NE sky which reached 7 degrees above the horizon. A small patch below Perseus was glowing gold with a peak brightness of type 3. The display rapidly faded to type 1 brightness then spread out in azimuth sporting white veil and soft band structure. A group of well defined waves/herringbone formed below Capella before dawn. Not a very good display at all so I didn't take any images, however it was still an NLC display all the same. We are over due another round of big displays any night now.

Hi Richard, I think it's possible to get a display from your location, keep watching and you might get lucky.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 25, 2009, 05:42:11 pm »

I got a few images last night (June 24/25) but as Martin says it was very umimpressive for the middle of the NLC season. This image was taken at 02:40BST and shows that structure below Capella (bright star upper right). It was quite murky lower down and had it been clearer it may have looked brighter.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: June 25, 2009, 09:48:18 pm »

Richard, Tyler, just to compare: some recent NLC were seen from Romania (44-45N), Kazakhstan (42.5N) and Spain (41.5N).
And I remember early July last year when there was a display visible from Turkey and Iran (39N)!!
So keep watching, you might get some of them.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum