Astronomy, Photography and Weather
February 01, 2023, 06:30:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

2009 Noctilucent Cloud Season

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 Noctilucent Cloud Season  (Read 15804 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: June 21, 2009, 04:15:07 pm »

IIIb waves seem good to me Roman  Wink

Jonathan Bingham and I met up last night for an observing session and ended up having a fantastic time!. We went up to the NE coast looking over the Irish Sea and could see some of the Scottish Islands, Jonathan knows the name of the location better than I do. It was an overcast night, which we expected anyway, but we actually did see an NLC display glowing THROUGH the clouds which we were both 100% certain about. It must have been a type 5 monster and at least 20 degrees above the horizon. The place we were at was fantasic, it wa like the Island in Jurassic Park with fantastic cliffs, passing 'fog storms', a few showers, a fog bow, and amazing nature scenes. We seen Deer and Badgers and had a great time watching the ships on the Ocean all lit up at night through Jonathan's amazing 5" comet seeking binos which are a serious piece of kit. I asked Jonathan if I could keep them but for some reason he declined  Smiley. It was such a mild night that we sat out on loungers watching the sky and generally having a great time on the Solstice. Definitely a special night which I won't forget. We even walked through the ghostly ruins of Dunluce Castle in the middle of the night...it was creepy too!. Thanks to Jonathan for a great night and for the chip and coke also...very much appreciated.  Smiley. Might upload a few images on the photography section later.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum