Astronomy, Photography and Weather
February 04, 2023, 10:01:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Waiting for darkness

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Waiting for darkness  (Read 280 times)
brianb

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2009, 02:14:14 pm »

I didn't know what kind of scope that was so I looked it up...impressive instrument!. Bet you will have some fun with that.
Yeah, when the sky clears ... a lot of cloud was in the box. Anyway on the odd occasion it's been reasonably clear it's showing its potential, getting well into the 15s in not particularly good sky, even on Thursday/Friday with haze & Moon was just about getting to mag 15.

Reason for purchase, it's the largest aperture driven scope that I can handle physically. It's a great big lump but the handles are in just the right place ... the Meade 12" LX90 is actually lighter but nowhere near as easy to carry. Still coming to terms with the electronics - it's amazing how something with essentially the same functionality as the Meade can be so different to use, but I'm getting there.

Carl, I have a couple of barlows and am not a complete stranger to imaging through a SCT ... the atmosphere was just too turbulent on Thursday to even consider using a barlow, I'm actually surprised how well the imaging worked as the AVIs look horrible. The DMK camera is 4.65 micron pixel pitch so theoretically it needs to work at f/22 to make a proper 2x oversampled image.

BTW I upgraded to the new version of Registax (v5) which I think is an improvement in several ways.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum