Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 10:44:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Tornado/Waterspout - Cornish Coast - Feb 3rd

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tornado/Waterspout - Cornish Coast - Feb 3rd  (Read 2196 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2009, 06:14:16 pm »

Just seen the BBC news on tv and they showed a video clip of a tornado/waterspout over the Cornish coast today. There was a clear rotating disturbance on the Sea, a great looking waterspout!. There are reports it may have made land fall. Currently looking for images and video of this event.

TORRO had issued a tornado watch for that area today..looks like they were rite to do so  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 09:44:13 pm »

UK weather has certainly pepped up over the last few years - all this snow and now a funnel cloud- I say funnel cloud, Martin because that's what I saw  on the tv news but as ever,they called it a tornado. I don't know if I mentioned it before but I like to call them 'maritime tornadoes' Lol
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 10:13:39 pm »

Yes I fully agree John, the UK weather has been really action-packed these last few years. That's already several tornadoes in the UK since Jan, throw in the severe frosts, fog, snow events along with the Summer floods then it has been wild indeed.

I saw the video clip of the waterspout on TV and it was without doubt a tornado. A dark funnel was curving down from the cloud base then there was clear sky below (no condensation funnel at mid point) but on the surface was a well defined disturbance rotating on the sea. It was an excellent waterspout/tornado. I would love to see one of those. I'm hoping it will appear online soon so we can get a better look at it. The video clip on the tv this evening was short but enough to see the vortex on the surface.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 10:25:53 pm »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/video_and_audio/default.stm

Check out this video clip. Near the end there's a clip of the waterspout, you can clearly see the surface contact.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 11:01:16 pm »

Here's a still from the video footage which someone from the UKWW extracted from the video. Classic waterspout. Looks a considerable distance away so I'm sure it was more impressive up close.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum