Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 19, 2024, 09:24:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A Cold February In Glendalough

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Cold February In Glendalough  (Read 1314 times)
lunartic

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2008, 08:08:32 pm »

Hi there

Last February 2 I was up before dawn and headed to Glendalough in Wicklow, a place I absolutely love.  My initial plan was to get a shot of the waning crescent moon behind the round tower, unfortunately it was cloudy, so another series of images was taken, of them I selected the following 3.

#1 Snow was clinging to the rock face above the valley, in Photoshop I removed the colout to produce the finished effect.

#2  This shot was taken from the shore of the upper lake towards the waterfall, the rock face on the previous image is seen on the left.

#3  This shot was taken on a trail above the lower lake, again it was tekn in colour and I removed it in Photoshop, in winter there is so little colour that the black & white gives a better effect.  IMHO.

Thanks for looking.
Report Spam   Logged

Paul

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 08:23:58 pm »

Paul that's a superb place - I went there once a few years ago, but it was fog bound and nothing like your shots - also I didn't know there was a waterfall up there - that's a bit of an interest of mine!

Great shots, thanks for sharing.

Cheers!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 08:26:28 pm »

Paul, those are great images, especially number 2. Nice clouds over the mountain peaks, or are they  rolls of fog?
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 08:28:46 pm »

It certainly makes a change to see the mountains covered with snow as I've only ever seen them in summer.
It's a beautiful place Paul and I can appreciate your love of it. B/W really works well in those shots.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
dogstar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 08:33:28 pm »

Hey Paul great shots no 2 could be a glacial lake in the Canadian rockies  Grin
I've camped up there a few times when i was a wee lad and that's how i remember
it, thanks for posting.
Report Spam   Logged

Declan McCormack
http://webtreatz.com/
lunartic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 08:36:42 pm »

Thanks guys.

In shot #2 they are clouds, seeing as the original plan of the moon and the tower was shot down I was hoping that maybe the rising sun would illuminate the top of the mountains in a nice red glow, but that was not to be either.

There is indeed a waterfall up there Paul, it's a bit of a hike though, well worth the effort for all that.  There is another smaller waterfall that is easier to access just of to the left of where #2 was shot, it's not large.  The view from the waterfall down the valley is wonderful taking in both lakes and the valley walls on either side.

Get there early enough and the wild deer will be there to meet you, I saw a buck and a doe that morning no more than ten metres away and something like that adds to the experience.  I plan to do the same next winter, I would really like that moon/tower shot.
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Steveo74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 12:14:11 pm »

Great shots Paul, #2 & 3 stand out. Thanks for sharing!
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks,
         Steven..

Visit my Blog http://steviesskyshack.blogspot.com

Visit my Flickr  http://www.flickriver.com/photos/16671294@N07/
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 12:52:47 pm »

An outstanding landscape on #2 photo. I like mountains very much! What height are those mountains?
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
lunartic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 06:05:23 pm »

Not very high Roman, only a couple of hundred metres, though they are steep and require strong calf muscles to get there.  There are two routes to the waterfall at the centre of the image, either to the left or to the right.  The right route is gentle to begin with, passing an old miners' village and then gets quite steep.  The left route is the opposite, very steep initially and then level for the most part.

At this time of year Glendalough is very busy with tourists coming to see the round tower and old monastic site.  I prefer winter, or late in the evening when there are fewer folk and you get a real sense of the place.
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
lunartic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 06:41:35 pm »

Here are a couple more shots taken the same morning.

#1 Shows one of those deer I mentioned, he seemed just as interested in me as I was in him.  I got in close and he wasn't spooked.

#2  This is part of the machinery left behind when the mine was abandoned in the 19th century I believe.  There is a manufacturers stamp in the side and if I remember rightly it was made in Wales.

Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 07:01:43 pm »

Nice deer captured, Paul.

Here is the photo of mt.Ay-Petri near by Alupka (Crimea, Ukraine)

This is not my photo, but I have been there in 2003 and that is the highest point (1200m) I have ever been to.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Poltava Astronomy Portal
lunartic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 08:35:59 pm »

A lot higher than the peaks in Glendalough Roman. Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 09:18:28 pm »

Here is the photo of mt.Ay-Petri near by Alupka (Crimea, Ukraine)
Reminds me a lot of the Wilde Kaiser range in Austria. I bet there's loads of wonderful rock climbs on those walls!
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 09:51:08 am »

I bet there's loads of wonderful rock climbs on those walls!
Yes, it is one of the best place for alpinism in Ukraine. However I used an aerial tramway to climb and a bus to go down.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum