Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 16, 2024, 10:39:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Spring is here(?)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spring is here(?)  (Read 406 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2009, 06:27:06 pm »

Lol Tyler...the local tv weather forecasters always call our weather 'a mixed bag' - they have been doing that for as long as I can remember. The channel 5 weather girl always calls the weather 'miserable' when there's a front moving in. I watch it just for a laugh because she says it most days. The annoying thing though is that when there is something unusual or severe happening it always gets played down. When there is a tornado somewhere in the UK the met office 'experts' describe it as a 'mini tornado' or 'freak whirlwind' which really peeves off the convective people. Although the only time they realised that the UK gets a good one from time time was when the Birmingham tornado struck doing incredible damage. Info...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Tornado_(UK)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/content/image_galleries/tornado_gallery_Copy.shtml?1 (check out pic no 1)

Video 1...

Video 2...

(this is a good one)

Then when we get a few inches of snow the country comes to stand still. I think the problem is that for most of the time nothing exceptional happens then on the few times that it does people take no notice of the forecast and get into trouble...then they turn their blame on the forecasters...a strange country. I would seriously like to see some proper weather forecasts on TV in this country. The current forecasts are insulting and embarrassing. You guys in the US have incredible forecasts...I have watched those on youtube before and thought they were so educational and exciting. You get the extreme version of eveything we get...I would gladly swap places for a while  Smiley

Brian, I have noticed that too. It was a very nice evening. I was out watching the ISS pass below Venus in a t-shirt and I felt very comfortable. Before sunset there was very impressive updraught towers which really shocked me because they looked like something we should be seeing during Summer. It showed that the Sun is up long enough now to produce some kind of solar heating...looking forward to the longer days  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 06:47:24 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum