Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 11:42:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Last Sunday's Seas etc.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Last Sunday's Seas etc.  (Read 739 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2009, 11:58:01 am »

The first CF card is lost but  I hadn't realised that I replaced it at Hartland Quay so I managed to get a few pretty well identical shots before driving  to Sandy Mouth  3 miles down the road. The virga photo is en-route there. No. 8 (monochrome ) was the beach but  with surf mist and bright sun (just about qualifies for  'weather ' I think .lol) I'm still disappointed with that card loss  because it hasn't allowed me to choose the best but there will be another day and another storm. These first 4 were taken at Hartland Quay,( N. Devon ) The rest  just further down the coast at Sandy Mouth. I may as well post the other 3 but they aren't really weather  but the same location but it keeps them all in one forum.

With the beach/stones shot I had the receding sea around my feet and camera backpack by the time I'd set myself up as  the odd wave ran up further than I anticipated so I had to move back - twice - ! lol. re, this beach/stones shot I've enhanced the levels for effect without going OTT. Hope it works and is acceptable.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 12:40:33 pm »

#5 is nice - I get the feeling of the waves towering over me & have an impulse to run away!

#8 (the monochrome panorama with the figure) has real potential but the composition is slightly spolied by the figure being too central, try trimming a bit from the left hand side & foreground so the the figure is walking towards the centre of the frame & there is slightly more sky than sand.
Report Spam   Logged
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 12:42:35 pm »

A good set John. Really like #5
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
rjgjr
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 03:13:14 pm »

Great shots John, I really like the mono image!
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 06:29:40 pm »

Thanks..I like the mono ones too but heeding Brian's advice here's that photo again with the recommended adjustments - hope the new border is ok (I love borders lol)

Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 07:32:37 pm »

What a great set of images, John!  Smiley It is hard to choose the best of them. The round-shaped rocks and the waterfall looked the most attractive to me. The re-framed image in monochrome looks very good too.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 07:54:55 pm »

Very impressive photography John!!. No 5 is a lively image which gets the blood pumping!. I love that virga and bow image also. The most eye catching for me is the mono shot. The cropped version with the figure off-centre looks fantastic. I will be looking over these again for inspiration  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 09:03:50 pm »

Great shots John - I'll go with the flow here - #5 is "Oh my God, here comes the Tsunami, run away, run away" stuff - a terrific shot. I also like #10, the waterfall, a lot. Not just because I'm a big fan of waterfalls, but also the bent up rock layers that give a clue to the slow motion violence that tectonic plate movement is!
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 11:44:35 am »

Thanks again..I see what you mean ,Paul re. the rock layers and the eons.

Well, next time I'll  remember to put on my waterproofs and lie on the sand. That photo of the churning sea was taken with the tripod head approx.  18 inches from ground level. The  large stones you see run from the  start of the beach after coming from the road to about 30 metres and they were fairly hazardous to negotiate - dangerous really, all too easy to break an ankle, the wind was strong  and some rogue waves were reaching me as the tide receded so with all this going on I forgot to get the waterproofs on .Live and learn, I say OR maybe I could take a  spade and dig a hole and get down in that and take the photo at sand level.. lol  Grin

Here's the settings. 300mm  f13  1/250 sec. ISO 100 & pattern focusing.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum