Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 18, 2024, 12:53:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Saturday's Storm Images

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Saturday's Storm Images  (Read 539 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: January 19, 2009, 11:28:21 pm »

Here's a few images of the storm taken on Saturday Jan 17th during the evening just before sunset. After hours of heavy rain and gales the Sun broke out in the W. I ran outside with the camera and looked E at the storm which was now moving rapildy into the NE (R to L on top images). There was a huge line of convection extending from the SE to N sky in the form of several large cbs with anvils and mammatus. Trailing behind was a very long row of cu and updraught towers. All of this was cast in wonderful orange, gold, white, and blue colours. Seen several funnel candiates below the line but they where to distant to observe rotation. Those cbs were probably serious cells at their mature stage shortly before they began to decay here. Note the back-sheared anvil to the R. The jet and gales where blowing from R to L yet the updraught blew the anvil against/into the wind flow which is very powerful.  A journalist from the Derry Post Newspaper informed me that there was a storm surge on Lough Neagh. He said the water rose 2ft in 15 min's.

I have a report with a few more images up on my site....

http://www.nightskyhunter.com/Storm%20Clearance%20-%20Jan%2017th%202009.html

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 12:59:52 am »

Martin, that must have been a fantastic view! I really like the first one- the wide angle gives good perspective. Just a beautiful orange color. Glad you had a fun storm Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 01:39:29 am »

Great images Martin. You've really captured the intense colors and dramatic effect of the storm. I'm sure you were hoping for more, but you take what mother nature dishes out. Looks like alot of the weather we get moving in off the Pacific. Great detail on your other site. Congrats on the observations.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 03:58:15 am »

Thanks very much Tyler. It was good fun at that stage despite the nasty conditions before it cleared. I was very fortunate to have the Sun break out at that moment. The colours were more vivid in reality compared with the images and the convection was really crisp and sharp but I messed up the focus. Maybe I can be excused due to the bitter cold and gales driving into me at that time. I quite like the shadows of the towers cast onto the anvil. Good to see some convection again..Cheers.

Richard, thanks very much. I have noticed that too, the images you have taken of convective showers and storms do look very similar with what we get over here. I guess it makes sense in a way because both of our weather patterns are governed by the Ocean. The Atlantic wacks us with everything over here, when low depressions move east the first place they hit is Ireland. Must be the same in your location. I would sure like to see more storms but I think was a good start to the new year. I have a good feeling about the storms this year..I just hope my instincts are correct. Your are spot on...we take what mother nature dishes out. Thanks for the comments.

Hope you guys get more storms soon.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 04:21:54 pm »

Lovely photos,Martin.The colouring reminds me of some storm clouds in the US on my tour last year. . Hopefully we'll have an active winter/spring so we can get more photos like these.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 04:47:28 pm »

Thanks very much John. Yes, fingers crossed for some great t-storms this Spring and Summer!!. I have a good feeling about this year  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum