Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 12:44:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Snow Reports - Jan 18th-22nd

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Snow Reports - Jan 18th-22nd  (Read 3777 times)
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 03:28:35 am »

Well at least your weather was interesting - here the promised "sunny periods" was just intermittent rain from definitely non intermittent cloud! Cleared up around 9pm and the sky is really good at the moment, just taking a break, also needed to use the computer to report a (rare) outburst of SW UMa which I detected. Maybe it'll stay clear long enough to see Lulin!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 03:44:43 am »

Congratulations Brian on catching that outburst!.

Good luck with Lulin. I'm up late waiting to have a go for the comet also. It's a stunning clear freezing night here. Noticed showers moving in from the W on the radar, I just hope to goodness they don't get any closer.

Best of luck.
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 12:09:48 pm »

Congratulations Brian on catching that outburst!.
Gonna have to go back on that .... possibly a short lived flare to mag. 13, possibly a mistook Shocked (in which case there's something else wrong with the field.... Really need an image to check.) Anyway a couple of hours later when I checked it was back to usual (invisible though I could see the mag. 15.2 comparison).

Lulin didn't play ball, there was one small patch of cloud, guess where! Then invaded by stratocumulus at approx. 6:30.

Maybe another chance tomorrow - depending on the timing of the front/trough which is supposed to run through overnight.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 04:54:16 pm »

I'm sure something had changed within the field for you to notice that it looked different. Keep an eye on it!

Those showers on the radar arrived here but they were in fact more snow!. So I had light snow showers again so no chance of seeing Lulin last night. I reckon you could be correct about the next front moving in, there could be a clearance later. We really need to see this comet!

Good luck.
Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 11:45:47 pm »

sorry to hear your guy'es troubles, I had a clear night last night, and tested my barndoor tracker, only trouble is that I have to get away from light pollution - so its going to be a while before ill post images from that. But I fixed up my scope today, and am looking forward to some observing tonight! and I really hope I wake up for Lulin in the morning...
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 12:29:24 am »

Good luck, Tyler  Smiley

No chances to see the comet here in the week ahead due to weather  Sad
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 10:21:06 am »

I reckon you could be correct about the next front moving in, there could be a clearance later.
Hmm, I set the alarm for 5am, sky was clear except for a band of cloud in the W, got dressed & started getting kit ready (in "red light" conditions so as to save dark adaptation time), by 0520 the sky was completely socked in .... checked Met Office web site & discovered large lump of cloud approaching, the clearance was approx. 0415 to 0515 here. Back to sleep (on sofa).
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 04:34:10 pm »

I like your red light method Brian. This is something I must do myself, I spend too much time looking at a computer screen which really slows my dark adaption down.

I didn't even get any clear sky (See Lulin thread) but maybe tonight. Good luck.

Since this is a snow thread....there's nice snow on Slieve Gallion this afternoon.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum