Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 05:15:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Snow Reports - Jan 18th-22nd

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Snow Reports - Jan 18th-22nd  (Read 3779 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2009, 09:55:39 am »

It has been snowing on and off here since 01.30 UT. This morning there's a good white dusting of snow on the ground. The showers in the post frontal air mass from yesterday's storm which are now moving in from the W are more organized than expected. There could be further snow today and tonight with a risk of thundersnow. Please inlcude your snow reports and images here for this period.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:42:38 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 10:50:47 am »

Heavy snow!!

Thundersnow at Malin Head.
Report Spam   Logged

stuart2588

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 11:12:38 am »

We had a light dusting of snow this morning in Newtownabbey and had seen it start around 130am.

It has cleared away now so hoping for more today!
Report Spam   Logged
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 11:33:02 am »

Just a light dusting of snow here (Larne) - more visible up on the hills, but now all melted and just started sleeting. The weather forecast seems to have changed beyond recognition - I was expecting to be snowed in tomorrow but that looks less likely now.
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 12:14:35 pm »

Heavy snow!!

Thundersnow at Malin Head.
Maybe the same shower / minor trough but we got approx. 1 inch of very wet snow here between 11:15 & 11:45 - already all gone except for isolated slush patches - didn't hear any thunder or see any lightning & there's far too much cloud cover to see the heads of any convective clouds.

The snowfall did temporarily cut the signal on my satellite TV receiver.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 12:48:38 pm »

Sun has melted 50% of the snow at ground level but there is plenty falling over Slieve Gallion (I have images), the mountain is a white-out at times. I can see convective clouds arriving now. Lots of small cu and orphan anvils blown in from the old storms in the W. During a clearance I did see a whopper cb which was rock solid in apperance!.  The greatest CAPE values are at 15.00 when convection should be greatest. It will drop during the evening but become more unstable later. I think the main snow is yet to come. Met Off have a weather warning about gales and snow tonight/Mon...we shall see.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 02:32:13 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 12:54:01 pm »

Here's the sferics charts....

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/sferics/today.html

Huge CBs over the Sperrins now to my W.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 12:56:12 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 01:13:34 pm »

Here's a few shots of the snow on Slieve Gallion and some convection moving in...

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 03:45:13 pm »

Snowing here now.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 09:02:36 pm »

We had very heavy snow falling here for hours. It looked great. This evening it stopped and began to thaw rapidly which was quite shocking. Water was dripping from the tree branches so there wasm't much to shoot. I should have went out earlier when it was heavy. So took a few shots of the snow on the road side with passing cars...that's all.

Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 10:26:30 pm »

Martin, the first shot looks great!  Smiley

P.S. Finally I have done my report, I will give a link after I solve the problem with upload.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 04:39:42 am »

Thanks Roman. Looking forward to the report. Make sure you let us know.

Crazy snow falling here now (04.39). Massive flakes falling at high speed!
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 05:34:01 am »

Great shots Martin. Looks very wet and cold! Love the ghostly image of the vehicle sitting at the intersection. I know this has been discussed in the forum before, how are you achieving the star pattern in the street lights, a star filter or decreasing the f/stop? Great effect!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 03:44:09 pm »

HI Richard, the star burst effect was caused by using a closed aperture...that usually seems to do the trick. For those images I think the aperture was between F/6 and F/7.1.

I went out before dawn last night (after the above post) and took some video of the snow falling below the street lights lol...I was up for Lulin but there was no chance of that.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 11:30:06 pm »

Here's a few images and a video clip of the snow before dawn this morning. These were taken at 05.00 UT. I was up for Lulin but that wasn't going to happen. The snow was great though and looked wonderful falling under the street lights. It was so calm and quiet with no human activity about at this hour so it was very special. Images are time exposures, no flash used.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum