Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 11:46:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Passing Wintry Cell

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Passing Wintry Cell  (Read 345 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: January 23, 2009, 08:59:11 pm »

This nice but weak cumulonimbus passed through here today before sunset. It was a very big cell with a small flanking line which was half-blocked by houses. It was completely dripping with hail which fell as virga, maybe some snow in there too. This was followed by others with mammatus. I was a little surprised to see them considering that ESTOFEX said the air mass was stable over the Uk..obviously not. I'm sure you seen plenty of those today Brian further north. On BBC newsline this evening the weather girl was at Portrush and there was an impressive cell behind her lit a bronze colour!. Probably more to come over the next few days. Roll on Spring....

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 11:18:11 pm »

I'm sure you seen plenty of those today Brian further north.
Umm, well, it sort of poured down continuously from approx. 9am till 1pm ... a couple of minor showers in the afternoon, all rain. Didn't take too much notice as I was trying to catch up on sleep!

BBC forecast has "hail showers" all night, so far it's been approx. 95% clear since dark with no sign of showers Smiley Had a 4 hour session already tonight in beautifully transparent skies with reasonable seeing, getting down to mag. 15 easily & able to hold mag. 14.5 steadily with direct vision!

If the sky stays like this I'm going to shoot for Holmes ... 20 x 5 min subs might show something. And maybe try to get a deeper image of Lulin.

Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 11:48:08 am »

Hint of an anvil there, Martin. It looks like a nice little estate there -  bright, clean and tidy.
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 02:01:51 pm »

Very nice clouds, Martin.  Smiley
I don't remember any convective weather here since November... Nice to see a bit of it.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 06:59:01 pm »

Thanks Brian, John, and Roman. I can't resist snapping these clouds/cells if there are any around. It was only a weak affair with a slight anvil as you said John. There was a better one further to my N with clear anvil and mammatus but too far to shoot.

During Sunday afternoon more than 100 CAPE and an LI of 0 is forecast N. Ireland. There could be some decent convection around!

It was meant to be clear last night but it was cloudy before dawn so no Lulin.

Roman, Your time will come for convection...I bet you will get a few good t-storms this year!

Brian, best of luck with Holmes, the comet is beyond my basic gear and I don't think it will be a visual object either. If you can detect it then excellent, it's certainly well placed.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 07:02:12 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum