Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 16, 2024, 03:15:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Fogbows From Street Lights - Jan 14th

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fogbows From Street Lights - Jan 14th  (Read 770 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: January 15, 2009, 05:26:18 pm »

I have always wanted to get an image of a lunar or solar fogbow but during the early morning hours of Jan 14th it was a no-show due to the Moon located higher than 42 degrees above the horizon, and besides I could barely see it through the dense dog which enveloped my area all night long. I decided to seek an artifical light source. A street light on a country road done the trick and produced a nice bow across the road. Actually the bow was a full 360 degree circle and at centre, around the shadow of my head on the ground at the anti-light position, was a Helegenschein. It looked much better to the eye than on camera although the camera did detect fainter colours which the eye missed. This is cheating a little but it will do until I catch a lunar or solar version. Images are 15 sec exp at ISO100 with a 58mm SWA conversion lens giving a field almost 120 degrees wide. The bow was very close to me which is why it takes up so much of the frame. Images are not good but they are my first of this phenomena. These were taken at 03.00 UT.

This is the complete circle (part of it)

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 06:22:26 pm »

Very unusual images Martin. You are so good at seeing, finding and shooting these images. Good stuff!
Report Spam   Logged
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 07:07:42 pm »

Very interesting images Martin, not something I've ever seen before I have to say!
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 07:31:46 pm »

Nice illustration of "glory" round your head on the first one too.
Report Spam   Logged
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 10:05:13 am »

Very unusual and well caught images Martin
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 11:58:19 am »

I had to look very hard to see the 'bow circle' even with the arrows-I don't know how you manage to detect these phenomena that most of us wouldn't see.  Very dense fog too, I quite like fog photos.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 07:53:07 pm »

Thanks very much for the feedback guys. Hopefully much better images to come. I really needed a fish eye lens to show the complete 360 degree bow.  If it helps John, look at the sign on the far side of the road..the bow extending from there to the camera is actually on the road itself. To the R is the original bow in the above images.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 01:09:28 pm »

Martin, that is very interesting to see the fogbows. I couldn't see the bow with my home PC's monitor but now watching with another monitor - and I see it quite good.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum