Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 01:35:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Icy Missouri River

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Icy Missouri River  (Read 643 times)
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« on: January 15, 2009, 04:05:08 am »

Went for Sun dogs but clouds to the south took that option away, so I just went to take some photos of the Ice flowing in the Missouri river. Temps were between 3 and -5 during the time I was there. wind chills -10 to -20...so pretty freaking cold! I could only stand outside for about 8 or 9 minutes before my hands/toes would go numb. Anyway...

A train went over the bridge, but it isnt framed well, because it caught me by suprise - had it not, I would have included more of the reflection of the water.

I used my headlights(brights) to luminate the river.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 05:19:39 am »

Great shots Tyler. I've been following the cold snap on The Weather Channel, I can't even begin  to think how cold that is. My cousins husband is a Boat Pilot on a Freight Hauler on the Missouri and Mississippi. Looks like he has a little bit of ice to contend with. The bridge shots are fantastic, especially the one with the ghostly train image streaming by. Good work!!
Report Spam   Logged
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 09:29:02 am »

Lovely shots Tyler
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 05:32:26 pm »

Those images on there own made the trip worth while Tyler. All are a joy to view. I can imagine the cold and pain you went through to even get those. I love the bridge shot with the train, that's good work considering it took you by surprise!. The headlights on the water is a very neat capture too. There will always be sundogs on another day, but Winter shots like those are priceless and will conjure up fond memories when you look back at them in the future  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 07:42:31 pm »

Nice photos, Tyler. Especially I like the last one with the starry sky  Smiley
If the sky is so clear, would you try to observe C/2007N3?

I am bored with the weather. Today it is the third day with temperatures 0...+3C, the mass of snow is melting (it was 20cm thick recently), it is horribly wet & dirty outside. I will have at least a week of no sky at all, so I packed my scope into a box again, and waiting for some changes in a week or two ahead...  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 05:51:47 am »

Thanks for the comments everyone! I hoped I could go home with at least some decent images

Roman, I would if it wasnt 17 below zero Farenhiet! I might tommorow morning, since it will be a warm 3 below...lol Im suprised not many observations have been made yet - I guess everyone wants there sleep, I know I do. February will be better, the 24th sounds good, I really hope I have clear skies.

Richard, that Ice was creepy sounding when it would rub up against each other. Couldnt tell by the photos, but there was a lot of steam coming outta the river. Pretty cool expirence.

Martin, I agree, it was a cool expirence and Im sure I see some sweet circumzenithal arcs someday. lol just dont know when - usually when you least expect it

Oh...Roman, nevermind, its supposed to snow tommorow morning. Darn. Just cant get a clear/warm morning
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 11:50:59 am »

What a hero..out in those temps. Great idea too re. the headlights. I really like the bridge photo. Well done.
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 01:21:55 pm »

Roman, I would if it wasnt 17 below zero Farenhiet!
The main problem in such big frosts is the consttant fog/haze in the sky at night (especially at dawn). Anyway, I'd try to observe if only the sky (at low altitude) was clear. I haven't observed yet at temperatures below -23C = -9F (it happened to me for a few times in Jan.2006 and again recently) but I think the minimum temperature for me is -30C = -22F, if lower, I will have much doubt on getting outside...  Grin

P.S. Useful link for those who experience problems in converting oC to oF
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 01:23:46 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum