Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 07:13:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Stormy Portrush (Terrible Images!)

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stormy Portrush (Terrible Images!)  (Read 2313 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 11:45:15 am »

Forgot to respond re. the camera question.  I've looked  at the review and it's a good camera for it's purpose and this is it's purpose. It's regarded as a 'fun tool ' and one step on  from the compact. The reviewer states:

'Fujifilm expects the FinePix S6500fd to be a popular camera for hobbyist photographers. It will be a powerful, fun tool for people looking to move on from their compact digital camera, but who don’t want the restrictions or level of manual input that can be required by a Digital SLR.

In relation to DSLR's he uses the words, 'restrictions or level of manual input that can be required with a DSLR'  he's not using the important word 'versatility' which DSLR gives you in other words 'total control'  The camera is all about the  'Face Detection Technology ' feature (the police could do with that lol)  and says that research shows that as most people photos are taken in low light then the 100-3200ISO feature will take care of that but he fails to mention noise. My 40D has the same range,'high' is ISO 3200 and I would do my best to avoid anything over 800 despite what the reviewers are saying. One reviewer took a photo at 3200 and his verdict was that considering it was 3200 it was good. 'Considering' ? well as I say, the lower the ISO the better. I think Brian mentioned up to 400 is fine and that's about as high as I would want to go but to get a photo I wanted if going higher was the only way then that takes priority over quality but even then the lowest I could get away with to give me a decent shot.
He states that because the lens is fixed it avoids the problem of dust collection because you aren't changing lenses BUT the other side of the coin is that you are stuck with it and you really need a range of lenses. I go from 100-400 (3 lenses) You can't hope that a fixed lens will cope with the varying conditions and subjects that you want to photograph.
I see it's 6.3 mp.  These days mobile phones are at that level hence the surprising quality of photos. I appreciate that mp relate to printing but it also affects quality and I think that you need at least 8mp preferably 10/12.

My verdict, Martin. ? Time to move on. You've looked at the Canon 400D I think. and the 450D. Good DSLR's.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum