Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 20, 2024, 11:31:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Stormy Portrush (Terrible Images!)

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Stormy Portrush (Terrible Images!)  (Read 2343 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:36:00 am »

Martin,  this post struck a chord with me and it's how I felt about my early day  shots at dusk. I've realised that you can't do the impossible with particular lenses. If you had an f2.8 then you would have improved on these photos but I think your lens is f4-5.6 and at the 300mm end, which you were using ,f5.6 isn't up to the job at the speed you need even wanging up the ISO which just gives you unacceptable levels of noise. The first photo was wide, you say (I took it into photoshop but there's no exif data available)) and no doubt you were able to take the shot at the f4 end,combined with a high ISO and a slowish speed you got a decent shot  but as for the 300mm end you can't change the laws of light physics Lol. 

Those ships with their lights on gave me a good idea about the level of light you were working with and also the one with the houses in  and to make matters even more difficult you were fighting with gale force winds if not storm force. It was your determination that took you to that location even though you knew in your heart that it was going to be an uphill struggle. As you said   you needed  a fast shutter speed to 1.. get the scene reasonably sharp and  2.  to freeze the 'action' and you ain't gonna  be  able to do it so why beat yourself up trying to do the impossible ?  I've gone past that stage  now and recognise the impossible when I see it. Do you know that you can get spikes for your tripod ? They are invaluable when you can  press them into to soft ground.  I was battling against a gale with my sunrise photos but the spikes in  the ground gave me a great deal more stability. http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~productID~5521~categoryid~149.html

Hope this helps to put this batch behind you - you'll soon have a daytime storm - remember those photos when I said you'd taken a risk getting   onto the rocks down at the wave level especially as you were on  your own -  they were excellent ,so chin up old chap.  Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum