Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 05:36:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Two Wild Goats

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Wild Goats  (Read 1178 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2009, 04:11:26 pm »

Does anyone think it would be better to up the ISO and get a faster speed even on the tripod ?
You obviously have your own way of working, and usually it's very effective. But, in poor light, I would bump up the ISO ... I'd sooner have more image noise than blurring caused by unwanted subject movement, if only because image noise can be processed, fairly effectively up to a point.

I'll up the ISO then.  I  also have the option to select  A1 Focus mode  which will shoot in AF  One-Shot mode  but switch to A1 Servo (for moving subjects) the instant movement is detected . Here's a question I've been thinking about.

I'm dallying with the idea of a 70-200 f2.8 (canon) IS or no IS - I have to think about that. I'm wedded to my tripod as you know. I have a 100-400mm  f4.5 >5.6 and  from 300 > 400mm it's f5.6. At 200mm I can get f5. If I were to take  two photos ,one with the 70-200 f2.8 , ISO 200 and   1/200 sec. then next to it the  100-400 at 200mm and 200  ISO but I adjusted the speed to  two stops slower to compensate for the two stops of aperture  difference ie. f2.8 >f5.6 (or share the difference between the ISO and shutter speed) would I get exactly the same photo ?  I have a suspicion that the 70-200 f2.8 would give me a sharper if not better quality image because I think, I don't know for sure, that the glass in the 70-200 is of superior quality. They are both L series lenses. I would also like the 180mm f3.5  L series  macro lens which is very close to the max. of 200mm of the 70-200 and only one half  stop less so another poser is ,with this lens why would I need the 70-200 IS or no IS. What do you think ?  I hope I've got the figures right but is the principle correct ? The 180mm lens , however, has aperture blades  designed to give superb bokeh.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum