Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 10:45:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Old M42

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Old M42  (Read 797 times)
Matthew C

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2008, 01:51:31 am »

Hi guys... here is a very modest ohoto of M42 taken with very modest equipment! I came aacross this photo recently! Ive never felt the need to post it as its very poor quality but it was my first photo of M42.

Just thought id share! Smiley

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 01:53:18 am by Matthew C » Report Spam   Logged

Matthew Cahill
Observing Director,Committe Member and IFAS rep for GAC.

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe,is as good as dead.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 10:37:58 am »

I reckon I've got several like that, then some better ones as I learned to get the tracking right, the focus right and then started stacking  exposures together for increased dynamic range. I need more practice still and haven't had much in last 18 months due to infrequent clear skies! I now have a better 'scope, a better camera, better software and so on, so roll on the Autumn!
Report Spam   Logged

dogstar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 12:41:25 pm »

Hi Matthew that's a superb first especially with the modest equiptment you used well done i bet your chuffed  Smiley
Like Paul said it's a great object to experiment with, because of it's dimension and lumonosity as you know it will
register a lot quicker on your equiptment than most DSO this saves on a lot of hard work at least thats the theory Grin Grin
I can't wait to see your efforts this winter.
Report Spam   Logged

Declan McCormack
http://webtreatz.com/
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 03:49:01 pm »

I rather like that shot Matthew, it shows the central area of the nebula which is often washed out in 
longer exposure images. Only a few months now and you'll get another chance.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:50:52 pm by John9929 » Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 04:12:27 pm »

Matthew, that's a pretty great image for a first attempt AND for the gear used. Nice trap region and main M42 nebulosity. I also like the fainter green elongated fringe of neb which runs across the image from bottom R to top L. This is actually my favourite part of M42 when seen through a wide angle eyepiece. Looking forward to seeing more of your images.

I hope catch a wide angle shot of Orion soon as it climbs out from the twilight arch.
Report Spam   Logged

Matthew C

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 04:15:19 pm »

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement guys! i now have an 8"LX90 with a wedge a canon 300D and a Meade DSI 2 so i cant wait to get snapping! I messed around a little with the colours and i love how it looks in green! This was actually taken with the 300D Now that i think about it as the sensor picks up very little red! These are my latest spoils! Wink

http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o278/Matthew-C/?action=view&current=m42_filtered-1.jpg
Report Spam   Logged

Matthew Cahill

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe,is as good as dead.
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 04:35:49 pm »

That's a great result Matthew, I think I like that one even better!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
Matthew C

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 02:29:14 pm »

Thanks JOhn! Grin I like how the wisps looks like an eagle in flight! It looks like it has wings a head and a beak if you look closely!
Report Spam   Logged

Matthew Cahill

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 05:48:27 pm »

Yeah I see it Grin Can't wait to see what you get with the new equipment!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum