Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 02:53:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Christmas cats

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas cats  (Read 1341 times)
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« on: December 22, 2008, 07:05:20 pm »

Needless to write here many comments...

It was a challenge to photograph them with a long exposure (a bit easier with flash)

My mother is a magician. She says them: "Sleep, sleep, sleep..." Grin

Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 07:23:17 pm »

Those are great Roman. I like the long exposure to catch the movement of the Cats. That last one is a funny shot. cool images  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 07:46:44 pm »

Thanks  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Poltava Astronomy Portal
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 11:06:33 pm »

Very cute Roman. Mine is here beside me trying to remove the tail from his toy mouse!
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 12:06:49 pm »

Very cool Roman. I too like the first one, with one cat moving, the other not. It works well. All good though.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 12:58:11 pm »

Nice cat Andy!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 08:57:54 pm »

Thanks John

Andy, I'll second Martin, your cat does look very pretty  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 03:42:19 pm »

Cats are great creatures. We have 3 and one is 21 in May and 99% blind. To save it stress it has it's own food,water and litter tray in one of the bedrooms so it just hops off the bed has a bite to eat  (dry biscuits) and a drink and a toilet and goes back to bed. It comes downstairs for something to eat  from the evening meal. Basically, it's got it's own self-contained  apartment .Lol
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 04:26:32 pm »

(...) and one is 21 in May and 99% blind. (...)
Cry what a poor creature. I thought that cats don't live more than 13-15 years...
Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 10:59:18 pm »

You're right about the age, Roman but I read of someone who had a cat that died recently and it was 24.  This cat has quite a decent life really-we wouldn't let her suffer. A month ago the vet said he thought she'd be with us for quite a while longer. She looks well, a bit old these days but she gets around the house remarkably well and she takes herself for a stroll around the garden too, she knows every centimetre of her surroundings and   rarely bumps into anything-except the dog, a  Golden Retriever, who lies down in different places  and  if we walk into a room and say 'hello Phoebe" she answers, every time - amazing. She can also  be pretty demanding at times.
Report Spam   Logged
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 01:01:17 am »

John, I second what Roman has said about being almost blind but 21 is a great age for a cat and the fact that he/she is still moving around (including the garden) is an indication that the cat's spirit is still in tact and that it hasn't 'given up'. Sounds like it's been well looked after to reach such a great age, too.

My cat was up til gone 3am playing with her Christmas toys - a remote control mouse and a general play area with a few gizmos. Needless to say, he has spent most of Boxing Day asleep - totally knackered!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Andy
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 10:53:00 pm »

Lol..I think they have us on a string. Now, I say 21 in May but  this cat was visiting our garden  regularly for food 19 years ago - 20 in May and she  belonged to people who lived nearby who had 5 cats but wouldn't let them in the house and they scrounged around the neighbourhood back gardens.  One day this cat came to us with an eye infection and it got worse so I thought sod it,  they obviously aren't doing anything about it and  made enquiries with neighbours and they said they were odd people and couldn't guarantee what reception I'd get if I called  so  I borrowed a cat basket from a neighbour, we only had a Retriever then, and took her to the vet to get an antibiotic jab which cleared it up and on another occasion I saw worms  so I took her again and sorted that out. The records at the vets show the date so that's how we know but of course we aren't sure how old she was when she first arrived-at least two we think and our neighbopur thought 2-4 so she could be 22 ! She'd come into our garden about 4 times a week. They just moved one day leaving this cat with no home . We actually got one from a rescue centre when this one stayed away for a few weeks- then she returned so we had two. Then another of theirs turned up on the patio when it was minus 4 C (I remember)  so I took her in  for the night  he/she wasn't much more than a kitten, maybe 1 year old and jet black  but when they moved they took that one. One day a black and white cat turned up on the doorstep-  I thought, who's putting the word around ?? Lol. She was  starving and astonishingly just gingerly walked into the house via the front door. We advertised her and people came to see her  but no-one claimed her and the Cat Protection said they were full and could we keep her. Ugh. We had  her two weeks and when no-one claimed her we gave her to the neighbours whose cat had just died at about 17. Lo and behold half  an hour later this cat,who I call Freddie after Freddie Mercury Lol.. (he'd not long died) came  through our neighbour' s hedge and  ran up the garden,I was in the kitchen so I saw her coming into the house. The neighbour said that if that's where she wants to be that's fine so they  went to the rescue centre and got one.  This cat tore up newspapers and was very angry but frightened and hid under the large speakers we had and behind the settee.  I spent a lot of time with her re assuring her and eventually she stopped.  Whilst this was going on each time I picked her up she growled as if in pain. We had her checked out and there were no problems. We eventually came to the conclusion that being picked up meant being thrown out and I think this cat was thrown out from wherever time and time again-  we wonder if she'd been dumped from car . She clawed at the carpet too so maybe that's why. All these activities eventually stopped after a few months  and she's quite normal now but  often wants to go out of the front door even if it's for 5 minutes and we don't know why- As soon as I open it she runs back in. She never goes further than under the cars on the drive so its ok.She's been with us for 10 years and we think (and so does the vet) that she was 10 when she arrived.

We also have a bovver - boy cat - this one was found flea ridden with its  3 siblings under a hedge - feral kittens and the mother had been killed on the road.It was 6 weeks old, when my wife took the dog to the vets one day  and they asked her if she would take one of the 4 (knowing a soft touch when they see one Lol)  She asked me if it would be ok and I asked her what she'd said to the vet. She'd said we would have it so I said "Well, that's it then, when is it coming ?"    I mean you just have to go with the flow  chaps Lol. That was  about 10 years ago too. This  undersized Peter Pan of the cat world , felix lookalike,  will lie in wait for the blind one and bash her  with one clout so just now I heard the blind one calling out  from the lounge and she was calling to me to come and collect her to 'save' her from this other one. Lol.  I'm at home all the time so she has 24 hour care and assistance - no wonder she's 20 or whatever and I'm weary. Lol.
Report Spam   Logged
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 01:47:57 am »

John, you will go to cat heaven - that's for sure.

I shall never understand the neglecting attitude of some owners to their pets (makes you wonder why they got the pet in the first place)!

I know a couple of local ladies who ran the Cat Protection here in Oxford. Sadly it is often the case that they are full up and unable to accommodate new strays (of which there will no doubt be a lot of over the next few weeks as the novelty of getting a pet for Christmas wears off). Having animal lovers like yourself around can only be a blessing as far as the cat world is concerned. Happy New Year to you & all of your pets!
Report Spam   Logged

Andy
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 08:22:47 am »

I think they have us on a string.
Yes, that's the difference - dog owners train their pets (well, the responsible ones do), cats train their human companions Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 07:52:27 pm »

cats train their human companions Wink

My only problem at present is fitting on the litter tray!  Sad Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Andy

Pages: [1] 2