Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 05:34:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

40 years ago today!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 40 years ago today!  (Read 455 times)
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: December 21, 2008, 02:49:13 pm »

And I remember it as if it were yesterday - some things just affect you that way - and I was only 7 years old at the time.

Apollo 8, the first manned spacecraft to leave Earth orbit, launched on December 21st 1968 - a daring mission since it was only the third Saturn V rocket to be launched - the first, Apollo 4 was near faultless but the second, Apollo 6, had some quite bad problems though Werner von Braun's team were convinced they had them sorted - and they were right!

Apollo 8 flew to the Moon, performed 10 orbits and came home with the manned capsule splashing down safely in the Pacific 6 days later. It was an essential step towards meeting the challenge set by John F Kennedy in 1961 - that of sending a man to the Moon and returning him safely to the Earth before 1970.

Far less importantly this mission marked the start of my lifelong interest in Astronomy and Space exploration!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 04:24:10 pm »

Yes, I can remember the launch of Apollo 8 as well, though I was a bit older at 17. Some things one never forgets. I remember being at a friends home when verses from the Bible were read as the spacecraft circled the moon watching Earthrise over the Moons horizon, what a site.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum