Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 06:02:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Saturday's Sunset

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Saturday's Sunset  (Read 962 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2008, 11:44:10 am »

I wasn't sure if this  was up to the mark tbh.

Ref. what we were talking about re. editing, this one is in sRGB..90 resolution and 80 quality. I had my regular 72 resolution showing  and that gave me 86KB. I took it to 90 and it increased it to 86 KB but  increasing the resolution  further made no difference.

Brian. I think I'm misunderstanding the Tiff. My photo comes from the CF card as a Jpeg. I edit it and I could export it into a folder as a Tiff ,you said to save it as a Tiff, to save data and thus quality but   that means when I access it, to post it ,like this photo here, it's not a Jpeg which I assume it has to be  to post it here and Email  it, so it has to sit in the folder as a Jpeg.  There is no facility for me to convert it to a Jpeg when it's accessed via. attach and before it's posted. Sorry to be a pain.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 11:54:57 am »

That's very nice John. Love the Rays, and the clouds have come out well. I reckon that would make a good pic for a wall.

I don't think you'll buy much exporting to TIF from a JPG. Given that LR uses non destructive editing, you can always revert to the original or create a snapshot (In develop, on the left hand side, there's a snapshot panel, click the + and add a new one with the current settings, then you can edit from the beginning or adjust further and that set of changes is stored), and new edit, as these are stored in the DB not as regular files. Then export to jpg when ready to post. The resolution is only used for printing purposes and is fine at 72 for web. You could try increasing the quality to 100 and see what size files come out, as it's still pretty small, the higher the quality value the less compression is carried out on the data.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 12:26:10 pm »

Cheers,John. I'll look at that then. The ground was very dark  as you'd expect in these circumstances so I tried  a cokin P series  Grad. ND filter  but it didn't work well so I decided to bring the  ground exposure up a little in LR 2. which is new and has a Grad. filter to get over this very problem  of over exposed sky/under exposed ground and vice versa.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 12:57:35 pm »

Quality increased to 100, gave 184 KB -too large for here, I think. On this this photo  a quality  value of 80 has given me 132 KB which is ok. What is the KB limit  on here ? These are the colours as I saw them.

Report Spam   Logged
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 12:57:51 pm »

I don't think you'll buy much exporting to TIF from a JPG. Given that LR uses non destructive editing
You're almost certainly right. I don't understand Lightroom, it's far too clever for me.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 03:31:08 pm »

Those are great John. Lovely colour, depth, and structure in the clouds. Good quality crep rays too!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 04:14:16 pm »

Great sunset photos John, great color and detail. I use PS Elements 4 and that's too much for me to handle most of the time. I just play with a copy of the image until it looks good and hope it's good enough. On most sunset and sunrise photos one is usually dealing with haze, smog, fog, moisture, whatever you want to call it, you just have to deal with what you have. The first photo is soft, but suttle, I love it.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 10:08:50 pm »

Oh well, not too bad then after all Lol.. Thanks.

Brian..  I don't believe for one minute that LR is "too clever" for you. Lol.  It has a fairly comprehensive editing programme  certainly as much as I need and one reviewer asked why would he need PS  now but of course not literally.  However, it's strength lies in cataloguing and the key wording, rating system etc. which allows very quick identification of the photos you want . I don't  really enjoy being creative with photos, beyond creating sepia and B&W  ,that sort of basic   edit . I think there is a CS5 now. I have CS2 but I use it only for a few edits I don't have in LR2. What it can't do which PS can is to  edit a small area of a photo,it can do a sky or the ground  by setting parameters, horizontal parameters  ,it won't 'home  in' on a small area  but  a grad. filter wouldn't do that anyway, so it has its shortcomings. To do what I am describing needs the lasso in PS around the subject and then you can work on that area alone and there's no clone tool either.

If anyone wants to see what it's like you can get a 30 day free trial. I did this before I bought it. I didn't click 'buy'  though because there's a risk that they will let you download it bandI wanted to ensure I got the DVD boxed etc.  The free trial line is the third line down from  the top . I  think it's still about £200.

http://www.photoshopsupport.com/lightroom/index.html
Report Spam   Logged
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 11:46:42 pm »

That second shot is really good to John.

Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 01:39:16 am »

Very nice John - both cloud structure-wise and the rays in that first one.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 06:51:57 am »

Lovely rays on that first one John! beautiful scene
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 03:46:38 pm »

Thanks again. I've just come back to them and they look better than when I first posted them and they also  look better than when I was taking the photo. I find that photos look better when you revisit them a week or so later. It was the same with the US  storm photos. I got so wrapped up with them and seeing them time and time again during editing they lost their appeal but I went through them  recently and I'm very pleased with them.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum