Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 09:44:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Rays of Sunlight

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rays of Sunlight  (Read 875 times)
rjgjr
« on: December 20, 2008, 06:43:38 am »

One little break between storms today and the fog moved in. I saw this out the front window, and wouldn't you know it, I'm charging my 400D battery. I grabbed my wifes point and shoot and caught this shot just before the fog closed back in and it was raining 20 minutes later. Good enough in a pinch. Thanks

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 07:12:48 am »

That's an excellent capture, I really like it.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 09:18:58 am »

That's a beautiful capture Richard, well done!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 07:35:20 pm »

One word Richard - Wow!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 08:58:54 pm »

Very good image, Richard. What a beautiful weather - clear sky and dense fog  Shocked  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 09:25:06 pm »

clear sky and dense fog   Shocked Smiley
I've seen this combination in the Alps, the fog lurks in the valleys & the sun peeping over the ridge casts shadows onto the top surface of the fog layer, leading to a scene which looks like the featured image when viewed from below. I even have an image which looks rather similar.

Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 09:36:18 pm »

Thanks for bringing that up Brian. I live about 60 miles north of one of the many sections of The Redwoods National Park in Northern California, and several times while driving through there(and without my camera I'm ashamed to say), I have seen scenes like this of the sunlight filtering through the 300' tall Redwood Trees to the two lane blacktop below. It is just an incredible sight. I've had my camera several times since, but the conditions just haven't been right to capture the same. There's alway next time though.
Report Spam   Logged
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 09:39:32 pm »

I've looked up the image I had in mind

Nowhere near as good as yours technically but does show the fog shadow effect rather well.
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 05:41:08 am »

That is a very interesting photo Brian. I can't tell from the photo, but are those taller trees behind the front row, or is that the sun shadow being cast from the fog and appearing to be a taller second row of trees. It looks as though the closer one is to the trees the more detail and rays would show. These trees look to be some distance. Beautiful setting. I have a ridge to the northeast that the summer sun rises over that is similar to that ridge. Thanks for the comparison.
Report Spam   Logged
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 08:36:23 am »

or is that the sun shadow being cast from the fog and appearing to be a taller second row of trees
That's it. The trees were on a ridge approx. 1500 feet above the valley bottom where I was walking, and there was a thin layer of thick fog/stratus about halfway up the valley onto which shadows are being cast - the shadows look larger because they're closer than the actual trees. The shot was taken with a 35-70mm zoom (all I had with me at the time) on an OM1 manual film SLR, the film used was Kodachrome 64 and it's a quick & dirty scan.
Near Neustift in the Stubaital, Austrian Alps, September 1985.
Report Spam   Logged
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 01:46:00 am »

Excellent shots gents. A case of being in the right place at the right time!
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum