Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 01:54:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Sun, clouds & river ice (Dec.18-19)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sun, clouds & river ice (Dec.18-19)  (Read 619 times)
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« on: December 19, 2008, 01:50:13 pm »

Today it is 2 days before the winter solstice and the weather is almost ideal for December.  Smiley The only wrong thing is that there is no snow, but instead the Vorskla river started freezing since Thursday.
Yesterday and today it was sunny in general, but the sky was covered with many As & Ac clouds, which is bad for astronomy but nice for photography. BTW, the temperature was -9...-3C yesterday and -5...-1C today.

A wide front of Altocumulus which started spreading into the sky from SW yesterday at 3PM.

Today I came back home at 2PM and went to the river bank to take some shots of the new ice.

I wondered that the ice was already 4cm thick near the bank (but it was still too thin in the middle of the river)

Hmm... that will be a nice decoration for my backyard  Grin

And a closer shot of that piece of ice (I love those forms!)  Cheesy

At the same moment the Sun was covered with altostratus

Later when I came home I saw several halo phenomena on those shots.  Cool Posted them into another topic.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 02:48:26 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 02:58:04 pm »

Those are great ice shots Roman. Very impressive, the ruler and your hand really give a sense of scale. Looks like Winter wonder land there. How deep is that water? Thanks for sharing those!
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 03:09:49 pm »

Looks like Winter wonder land there. How deep is that water? Thanks for sharing those!
Thanks for your comment.
Not much wonder, but a nice winter weather now. I hope for greater wonders in the future  Wink
I don't know exactly what is the depth (didn't dive there  Grin ). Surely it is more than 3-4m, possibly even up to 10m. So the river can never froze completely (as the small rivers do sometimes), but you remember, I told that last January the ice was 20-30cm thick.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Poltava Astronomy Portal
rjgjr
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 03:17:44 pm »

Beautiful photos Roman. I had to convert cm to inches to see how thick the nice was, approximately 1.5". Very interesting. I love the ice decoration photo. Ice can be so dramatic. What is the name of the river? I always like to stay informed. I'll check it out in the atlas later. That's a cold, grey winter sky. Thanks again.

Richard

Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 04:02:23 pm »

Thanks Richard.

What is the name of the river? I always like to stay informed. I'll check it out in the atlas later.
Vorskla river, ~460km long, starts its way in Belgorod region of Russia, runs across Sumy and Poltava regions of Ukraine and falls into Dnipro (Dnieper). Images captured in Poltava city, 49.6 N lat., 34.6 E long., water level altitude ~78m near my home.
BTW, maps & atlases are one of my hobbies too.  Wink

Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
rjgjr
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 05:16:03 pm »

Roman, thanks for all the info on your whereabouts. I keep an atlas by my chair and anytime I see or hear anything on T.V. I grab for the atlas. My wife always starts laughing at me. I really enjoy the photos of Poltava that you have posted, a beautiful old world city, nothing bad intended! In the States, it's very hard to find a city that is much older than 300 years, especially in the Western U.S. I hope it won't bore everyone, but when the weather clears a bit here, I plan on going out and taking photos of our little coastal town and other sites other than the rugged coastline we promote here. Thanks again for your posts.
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 07:33:33 pm »

I decided not to flood the forum with a new topic and post it here.

Santa visited me a bit earlier with his gift  Grin - my new weather station has been just delivered to me. It measures in/out temperature & humidity, rainfall amount, wind speed & direction, pressure + data transfer to PC. More detailed info about it here.

Now I will begin a new year with a new, much wider set of weather observations.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
rjgjr
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 07:41:32 pm »

That' a very nice unit Roman, congratulations! That will keep you busy. Mines about time to be replaced, it's getting pretty brittle and tired. Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum