Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 02:55:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Multiple ISS Transits - July 20/21st

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple ISS Transits - July 20/21st  (Read 750 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2008, 03:47:42 am »

Caught two ISS passes on July 20/21st. Thanks to John for providing me with the times. First pass at 00.38 BST was high and bright. Taken from back garden. Next pass at 02.10 BST was faint and very low. This was the coldest night for months with a slight air frost. The bright Moon made the land and sky look like a Autumn night. It felt like it to. Nice mag +1.0 meteor from Andromeda seen with gorgeous blue ion train.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 08:49:03 am »

This was the coldest night for months with a slight air frost. The bright Moon made the land and sky look like a Autumn night. It felt like it to.
Eeek! Minimum here on the North Coast Jul 20/21 was 10.3C despite largely clear sky!

However I do agree about "autumn" - once Arcturus is dropping to the horizon and Aldebaran is seen rising in the East, the season does seem to have changed. Not long now until the first sight of Orion looming above the SE horizon.
Report Spam   Logged
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 11:52:13 am »

Clouded out here last night but tonight and Weds night looking a bit better - so how annoying that I have to be up with the larks for an early start in the morning  Sad
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 12:24:55 pm »

Good shots, Martin.

What was the exposure settings for #1,2? (noise noticeable)
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 02:43:45 pm »

Roman, the exposure was 25 seconds at ISO400 with a 28mm lens at F/4. Unfortunately I can't do much about the noise as my camera tends to show it in an obvious fashion from ISO 400 upwards. I have ISO 3200 but I would never use it. I must try out the trial versions of the latest software which can remove noise from digital images. What did surprise me was the colour. On most occasions I need to adjust the levels to remove light pollution but on this night I just left it alone. Other than a weak unsharp mask and a few clicks of the contrast the images are untouched.

Brian, I could see Aldebaran on that night very clearly and was thinking the exact same thing. Orion will be hunting through the great eastern star fields in the very near future, and when that happens, we will have dark skies and meteor showers to contend with.
Report Spam   Logged

Steveo74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 04:48:36 pm »

Great shots Martin, I use neat image to remove noise from my night shots, just thought I'd let you know.
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks,
         Steven..

Visit my Blog http://steviesskyshack.blogspot.com

Visit my Flickr  http://www.flickriver.com/photos/16671294@N07/
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 11:33:07 pm »

Thanks Steven, I must check that out. Cheers
Report Spam   Logged

dogstar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 12:44:53 pm »

Great shots Martin, would you believe that i have never imaged or even tried to image the ISS i promise that is soon to change  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Declan McCormack
http://webtreatz.com/
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 04:06:10 pm »

Thanks Declan. In that case...I look forward to seeing your first ISS image. Good luck  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum