Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 12:09:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Arctic coldfront

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Arctic coldfront  (Read 1382 times)
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« on: December 14, 2008, 08:47:48 pm »

Saturday the temperature reached 50F. Saturday Night I was watching the meteor shower in a comfortable 44 degrees. I went to sleep and woke up to snow showers, and an icy temperature of 5F, wind chills at this time were -15 to -20F

Monday the high temperature is 8 degrees F. and wind chills between -15 and -25.

Here is a map of the strong arctic front...This is producing a Blizzard in N. Dakota and Minnesota with 10-20" in some places.

First Winter Storm Potential Tuesday: Finally we have a chance for a winter storm. I will report the event in this thread by the end of tuesday. here is the latest Forecast Disc.

WITH COLD
TEMPS SHOULD YIELD SNOWFALL RATIOS APPROACHING 15/17 TO 1. HAVE INCREASED
POPS TO 70 TO 80 PERCENT FOR TUESDAY...AND HAVE UPPED SNOWFALL AMOUNTS
TO A 2 TO 5 INCH RANGE. WINDS WILL HAVE DIMINISHED BY THEN...THUS
JUST EXPECTING A DECENT ADVISORY LEVEL SNOWFALL
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 10:09:57 pm by Tyler » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 02:36:01 am »

Thanks for informing us about that Tyler. Hope you get the storm. Looking forward to hear how it pans out. That's nasty wind chill, and what a drop in temp!. That cold front is bound to lift that warmer air up and produce something!  Smiley...fingers crossed.
Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 04:28:31 am »

OKay here is my forecast...

Tuesday...snow starts at 8am ends at 4pm Total accumulations: 4-6" Here is the map...

photos coming tommorow night I hope!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 02:03:27 pm »

I feel cold looking at that Tyler..keep those batteries warm!!, Good luck  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 09:23:27 pm »

well we got dry-slotted... again, this happens often for Omaha. Ended up with 1.5" of new snow. Its still snowing lightly, but the sun is peaking through...watching for a sun halo or sundogs!

I didnt get any good shots of snow falling but here are a few I took this afternoon...

maybe more snow or ice on thursday, have to see...
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 10:35:51 pm »

Those are great photos Tyler. I've been watching the news and weather re: the midwest, I have relatives near St. Louis. Some areas are getting blasted. I'm sure the snow is nice, but it's no fun living with it. We had about 2" of snow yesterday, which is very rare for the coastline. I'll try and post some later. They were just taken around my house. Was going to try and get to the beach and take some, but our service road was so steep and icy I didn't want to try it.

Richard
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 11:48:47 pm »

Hi Tyler and all. Here are a couple of photos of the aftermath of our big coastal snowstorm. Most of the world will laugh at the amount of snow, but by our standards, it's a big headache. It dropped all the way down to 30 F this morning.

Here is my little weather station doing something besides measuring rainfall for a change.

The Pacific Ocean didn't freeze.

Richard
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 05:24:57 pm »

Tyler and Richard, thanks alot for sharing those very nice snow images. It looks like a decent snow fall. Tyler, love that image looking up the stream with snow on the bank  Smiley

Richard, that's a very cool image of the snow falling over the Ocean! - dramatic indeed.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 10:59:45 pm »

Tyler and Richard, I see you both have a nice winter.  Wink I have already a week of winter (below 0C=32F), but there's a very little (very very little) amount of snow.

Here is my little weather station doing something besides measuring rainfall for a change.
I'm curious, can those weather stations measure a snow as a rainfall or they stop working at conditions like that? 

The Pacific Ocean didn't freeze.
...But it froze near Hawaii  Grin Nice joke
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
rjgjr
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 12:49:02 am »

You know Roman, we have so little snow here(sometimes not every year), I don't know what is correct. I usually just let the snow melt down and it goes through the tip bucket and I just measure it as precipitation. I've heard that 10" of snow equals 1" of water, and that usually seems to work out pretty close. I'll have to email our weatherman over at the T.V. station in the big city and see what he says about it. I've always been curious too!

Richard
Report Spam   Logged
Tyler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 01:54:23 am »

You know Roman, we have so little snow here(sometimes not every year), I don't know what is correct. I usually just let the snow melt down and it goes through the tip bucket and I just measure it as precipitation. I've heard that 10" of snow equals 1" of water, and that usually seems to work out pretty close. I'll have to email our weatherman over at the T.V. station in the big city and see what he says about it. I've always been curious too!

Richard

Richard, Snow-Liquid equivilent ratios vary from storm to storm, but for the most part the average is 10 to 1, our most recent storm dropped ratios of 17 to 1. There have even been reports of 35 to 1 ratios!

no problem Martin, when there arent clear skies, you got to shoot something else! (hopefully thursday that something else will be a 1/2" coating of Ice on everything Smiley that would make for some great photos) Ill keep you guys posted, I have been disscussing the next storm on another forum for a couple days now, and we are all anticipating the storm!
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 08:38:06 am »

can those weather stations measure a snow as a rainfall or they stop working at conditions like that? 
The funnel clogs up.

I understand the procedure for measuring snowfall is to have a large flat surface which is swept clean. After the snowfall take a "core" using a 6" diameter pipe which goes down to the surface, melt the snow & ice down, pour into a 1" diameter tube, measure the height of the water column & divide by 36. Sweep the collecting surface & repeat. (As done in arctic & antarctic met stations)
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 12:35:53 pm »

Looks like you guys could be in for an ice storm!. Lots of photogenic potential there. Sounds exciting!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 03:56:13 pm »

can those weather stations measure a snow as a rainfall or they stop working at conditions like that? 
The funnel clogs up.

I understand the procedure for measuring snowfall is to have a large flat surface which is swept clean. After the snowfall take a "core" using a 6" diameter pipe which goes down to the surface, melt the snow & ice down, pour into a 1" diameter tube, measure the height of the water column & divide by 36. Sweep the collecting surface & repeat. (As done in arctic & antarctic met stations)

With the scant amount of snowfall we get at one time(1-2"), I don't think I could get that amount to stick in a core, but that sounds like a plan. I've heard of the flat surface and measuring snowfall depth concept before. Thanks for the info.

Richard
Report Spam   Logged
Tyler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 07:30:29 am »

Well this storm turned out to be another bummer... Cry JK

We started of with Freezing rain, but quickly changed to sleet, accumulated about 1" of sleet, then went back to freezing rain, back to sleet, now its snowing lightly, but only expecting an inch of snow at most. The Highlight of the storm was witnessing some rare "thundersnow"  which is convective snow showers. I also (semi) documented on camera. I saw a flash of lightning durning sleet, which would be called Thundersleet. Anyways there are two photos, the first is a normal shot, lightning occured in the second shot, illuminating a purple hue to the photos. (lightning to the NW, camera faceing SW) sorry if this is confusing, but its late...maybe tommorow ill revise this, but I cant think very well right now

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 07:32:43 am by Tyler » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum