Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 11:03:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Arctic coldfront

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Arctic coldfront  (Read 1376 times)
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« on: December 18, 2008, 01:54:23 am »

You know Roman, we have so little snow here(sometimes not every year), I don't know what is correct. I usually just let the snow melt down and it goes through the tip bucket and I just measure it as precipitation. I've heard that 10" of snow equals 1" of water, and that usually seems to work out pretty close. I'll have to email our weatherman over at the T.V. station in the big city and see what he says about it. I've always been curious too!

Richard

Richard, Snow-Liquid equivilent ratios vary from storm to storm, but for the most part the average is 10 to 1, our most recent storm dropped ratios of 17 to 1. There have even been reports of 35 to 1 ratios!

no problem Martin, when there arent clear skies, you got to shoot something else! (hopefully thursday that something else will be a 1/2" coating of Ice on everything Smiley that would make for some great photos) Ill keep you guys posted, I have been disscussing the next storm on another forum for a couple days now, and we are all anticipating the storm!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum