Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 11:25:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Gust Front & Storm from Last Summer

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gust Front & Storm from Last Summer  (Read 805 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: December 09, 2008, 09:00:54 pm »

Feeling a little convection starved at the moment so I thought I would post a few images taken last August showing an approaching thunderstorm over the Sperrins before hitting Maghera. The impressive part of this storm was the gust front sporting a good shelf with scud 'teeth' which looked very menacing as it crept closer. The storm produced torrential rain and flooding (white & red radar returns) and c-gs. It was a great scene at the time. Slieve Gallion Mountain is to the L. The shelf covered much of the skyline and was incredibly dark underneath. Roll on Spring and Summer!

Sorry about all the images.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 04:22:46 am »

These are Perfect shots Martin! looks like Hollingshead type stuff! especailly the first, I like the wide angle so you can see the structure. A real nice looking shelf with some low clouds kickin' up dirt. Nice downdraft there too! Thanks for sharing, real neat series.

Tyler
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 08:56:04 am »

Thanks very much Tyler!, I'm glad you liked those. I have only been into photographing storms since the Summer of 2007 so I'm still learning from the more experienced imagers and chasers like yourself, and of course the infamous Mike H who is inspiring to everyone interested in this sort of thing. This was the best and 'meanest' shelf I have seen from N. Ireland since I began. I have an account on my site from this day but when I looked at it recently I was annoyed with myself for only including a small selection of images from that day. I had forgotten there was so many in my file. I used a 58mm wide angle conversion lens attached to my standard 28mm wide for those shots. The field of view is about 120 degrees or more so it was a pretty big structure. John McConnell got  a very interesting image of this same shelf much later when it stopped producing lightning. I have the image in my collection and will post it up later (I'm sure John won't mind). I would love your opinion in it because of the strange structure on it's leading edge which I cannot ID. Cheers.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 09:06:45 am »

Hi Tyler, here are John's images of the same shelf taken later. Any ideas what that big cloud obscuration is on the leading edge of the now tortured looking shelf?

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 10:59:46 pm »

I have just updated the image account from this day on the site. I have added 7 new images in total. Here's a link.

http://www.nightskyhunter.com/Sperrin%20Shelf%20Cloud%20-%20August%2011th%202008.html

Thanks for the inspiration Tyler!
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 11:51:47 pm »

Those are superb shots Martin. Very dramatic looking, indeed.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 02:42:13 pm »

Thanks very much Andy!

John (9929) informed me last night that this shelf was not too different to the one he seen from Maghaberry on Sept 28th 2005 which caused a damaging tornado. Only on that occasion the shelf was black as night.
Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 05:09:19 pm »

not sure Martin, I have seen a feature very similar and wondered the same thing. I know that wall clouds can for on the front side of shlef clouds, if fact this summer we had a tornado come through omaha, just 2 miles from my house at 2 in the morning (and I was out shooting lightning!)

Did John mention any rotation?
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 06:20:49 pm »

Thanks Tyler. Yes, I heard funnels and tornadoes can form on the leading edge of the shelf which is interesting. John didn't see any rotation (jump in John any time) so maybe it was just cumulus lifted by the outflow. Strange looking feature anyway.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 03:38:32 pm »

All of those shots are great, Martin. The last one in the first post is (as Tyler said) like Hollingshead type stuff. And the images John's post look scary to me Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum