Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 03:19:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A New Deep Sky Catch! (Visual) - Dec 7th

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A New Deep Sky Catch! (Visual) - Dec 7th  (Read 539 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: December 07, 2008, 04:57:20 pm »

I went out before dawn last night (05.30 - 07.00 UT) for yet another observing session. This was comet hunting session 884. It was a clear dark night with a severe frost on the ground and a light air frost which extended half way up to the scattering of street lights in my area. The ground and garden were solid as a rock, and the place was covered in white!. Very festive looking. I set up the 8.5" F/7 dobsonian reflector, which I had collimated earlier, inserted my Meade series 4000 32mm 2" super wide angle eyepiece, and began to sweep. The air frost covered the areas low in the sky above my garden fence so I decided to search higher in the sky despite the fact that I would be tresspassing in LINEAR's area. I searched through Virgo, picking up countless galaxies, then down into Hyrda and Corvus where M104 passed through the field. A search through Bootes presented nothing except M3, then I moved to the south and entered Coma Berenices. Globular cluster M53 caused me to stop due to its beauty then I moved on and suddenly saw something else. The time was 06.00 UT.

An extremely large patch of light could be seen among a weak field of stars. It was elliptical, extremely diffuse, and with an incredibly low surface brightness. It was barely visible against the frosty background sky and was at the limit of vision. No core at centre, just a ghostly haze which needed averted vision to see at all. I had never seen this before in over 8 years and 7 months of visual comet hunting. For a brief period I got excited and began to entertain the possiblity that this could be a new comet. I moved the field around a little and noted that the suspect shared the same field as M53, the new object was close to the SE of this cluster.

After some suspense I checked my sky atlas 2000 and noticed with some disappointment, but yet excitement, that this was a new deep sky object which I had never seen before. It was a globular cluster (it doesn't looks like one at all) called NGC 5053. I was delighted to find such a difficult object in such poor conditions, not to mention the fact that it took more than 1053 hours of hunting to find. I thought my days of finding knew deep sky objects were over as I pretty much know the sky quite well, however this guy caught me off guard in a big way. I ended the session at 07.00 feeling delighted with the catch. It confirmed to me that one should always spend some time with the sky, even on poor nights, because you just never know what you might find. Thought I would share this with you.

For info, image, and chart for NGC5053 check out this link...

http://www.skyhound.com/sh/archive/may/NGC_5053.html
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 05:17:07 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 05:26:32 pm »

Thanks for sharing - I can imagine how this object looked like a comet!
Report Spam   Logged
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 08:29:20 pm »

Interesting, crazy you just now found it. Im sorry Martin, as I know you have worked very hard to find a new comet, and to get this 'false alarm' must have been very disapointing. But Keep it up, you are very dedicated and that is inspiring! Thanks for sharing
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 10:34:52 pm »

Thanks guys for the feedback. I'm delighted to have added a new object to my list of objects found while sweeping the sky. It's often false alarms like this which generate those always welcome bursts of excitement which encourage one to keep looking. NGC 5053 is one of just a small group of clusters which I have found over the years which look more like diffuse comets than globular clusters. It's always good fun to learn new things and get to know the sky that little bit better. Here's an excellent image of both M53 and NGC 5053, however the fainter cluster looks nothing like this visually!!

http://www.dougsastro.net/astrophotos/messier/m53.htm
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 02:03:10 am »

Many congratulations on your find Martin. 884 comet watches- now that's what I call dedication!

My conditions were very much like yours last night, with a hard frost. I was delighted to be blessed with a clear sky as I've had a good astro buddy (James Astro Chatter on here) visit this weekend. My attempts at imaging were thwarted by the cf card in my DSLR becoming coruupt, but nonetheless, just being out and casually scanning the heavens with my 10X50 binoculars was reward enough.  Cool

A picture that James took of my set up with the AstroTrac during last night's session.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 02:06:37 am by Big Dipper » Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 05:32:00 pm »

Thanks for that Andy. The image isn't showing though...just a white box with a red 'X'. Any chance of a re-post?. Cheers.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 08:13:08 pm »

Martin, it was very interesting to read. Looks like a pretty faint object.

I went out before dawn last night (05.30 - 07.00 UT)
I usually call it 'morning'  Grin
Just curious, how lucky are those people who live inside the Polar circle an can observe the sky at winter nearly 24h? Wink

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 08:17:19 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum