Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 09:55:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Last Nights Observing (19th&20th 00:40hrs to 02:40hrs)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Last Nights Observing (19th&20th 00:40hrs to 02:40hrs)  (Read 892 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: July 20, 2008, 07:29:56 pm »

Steven, thanks for sharing your observing night with us. I love reading accounts like yours. A successful night by the sound of things. I like your Moon images (no 2 is great) and nice work picking up Jupiter!.

Roman, great image of Jupiter and moons. You have a good eye for detail. I like the way you marked the stars in the same field as the planet.

John, I really like that ISS image, the cloud movement during the exposure is fantastic - very nice effect!

My night under the stars was an unsuccessful one. With the exception of some nice convective clouds lit by the Moon and a heavy shower it was clear all night long. I visually observed two ISS passes then before dawn I did a search for C/2007 W1 Boattini without success. The sky was bright and because of new street lights I couldn't even see the head of Cetus at all, just  Alpha. The comet was close to the light no matter where I set up the telescope in the yard. I did a visual sweep anyway despite seeing ghost images and orange reflections in the FOV. I was very frustrated, the noise of loud thumbing music and drunken shouting from my neighbours delivered the final blow so I called it a night at 03.30 BST with my temper boiling. No NLCs visible either. Hopefully a more productive night tonight. I'm in the mood for a bright NLC show.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum