Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 05:16:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Geminid Meteor Shower Maximum - Dec 13/14th

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Geminid Meteor Shower Maximum - Dec 13/14th  (Read 2031 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: December 06, 2008, 06:40:26 pm »

The Geminids should be getting underway by tonight, as their first meteors usually appear around December 7. However, the Moon is already past first quarter, and it will have just passed full before the shower's maximum arrives, expected next Saturday night, December 13-14, within about 2h20m of 23h UT. Sadly, the Moon will be passing through Gemini by then, a few degrees south of the shower's radiant, which lies a little way northwest of Castor, the northerly Twin-star. Consequently, both Moon and radiant will be visible all night, and will be very well on-view for UK observers by the predicted peak time. The radiant reaches a usefully-observable elevation for meteor watchers here by about 20h UT, after which it remains nicely-placed for the rest of the night, culminating around 02h.

Highest Geminid Zenithal Hourly Rates (ZHRs) should be circa 120 judging by recent returns, a strength that means something of the peak should still be readily visible under clear skies despite the Moon. Geminid rates often remain near maximum levels for 6-10 hours to either side of their best too, so December 13-14 should be the preferable night for observers braving the Moon, if the predictions hold-up. Much lower activity away from the maximum may be seen in any darker skies that manifest through to December 17. Although the shower's parent object, Apollo asteroid 3200 Phaethon (possibly a dormant or extinct comet) passed closest to Earth since its 1983 discovery on 2007 December 10, it seems not to have affected Geminid rates then (it was not anticipated it would), nor is it expected to this time.

Geminids are medium speed and often bright meteors, though few leave persistent trains after them. For those wishing to chance the Moon - and past moonlit returns do suggest the maximum should be well worth viewing even under such trying conditions, providing the sky is clear and transparent - face away from the Moon, or block it behind a convenient obstruction like a rooftop, while still observing as much clear sky as you can comfortably. More information on December's likely meteor activity, including a Geminid radiant chart, is available at: http://www.popastro.com/sections/meteor/meteor-dec2008.htm .

Remember to dress appropriately for the likely conditions - and good luck!

Alastair McBeath,
Meteor Director, Society for Popular Astronomy.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 03:11:02 pm »

I may have some clear skies next weekend.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 10:30:20 pm »

Forecast looks good for N. Ireland on Sat/Sun. Clear skies and frost expected so it looks like we will see some Geminid action. Pity the Moon is so bright!
Report Spam   Logged

jjb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 11:03:44 pm »

Thanks Martin for the info hope you catch a few meteors,it has been the worst year i can remember for watching these showers  Angry

jonathan.
Report Spam   Logged
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 04:39:34 am »

Just saw an earth grazer by the corner of my eye, Id estimate the magnitude at -5 ( i thought it was a low plane at first, but it was gone just as fast as it appeared) I had the camera out too! darn. I was trying to photograph the moon corona...no luck

for the first time here I noticed we had favorable moonbow conditions, but i noticed too late Sad the moon was at 75 degrees when I noticed the partly cloudy rain showers... Im going to set the camera up for a while tonight and try and catch a fireball
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 03:18:32 pm »

Thanks for the heads up Martin. Just a pity that the Moon is full today.

Looking on the bright side, at least the Moon should be relatively unobtrusive for the 2009 geminids.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 06:25:10 pm »

Sounds like a top quality Geminid you seen Tyler. Pity about the Moon being too high for the bows. I had the opposite problem here last night because once the Moon got low enough we had nothing but frost and clear skies - no rain or showers. This was followed by freezing fog. I have my eye on Sat and Sun for Moonbows. Rain, sleet, hail, and possibly snow showers should coincide with a late rising Moon which will open the evening  window for good moonbows. Hope you get similar conditions in Nebraska.

Andy, yes it's a pity about the Moon but I have never been the type to be put off a meteor shower due to moonlight. Some of the best Geminid meteor activity I have ever seen was on nights with a very bright Moon. I will really be after the fireballs though...I've always wanted to catch one on camera. Good luck on Sat. Might do a watch late tonight too.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 09:10:39 pm »

Yes, I also observe meteor showers even when the full Moon is up. Maybe it is an obstruction for faint meteors, but there are the same chances to see some great fireballs, as Tyler did already  Wink

I may have some clear skies next weekend.  Smiley
Note what I wrote there. And the forecast didn't change - it must be clear here since Friday. But in fact I see just the opposite! It is completely overcast since Thu morning, sometimes with fog, temperature is slightly below zero. Seems like no chances for clear skies. And at the same moment all forecasts (which I regularly watch) indicate clear.. skies..... What I should call it?  Huh I don't trust them any more  Angry
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Poltava Astronomy Portal
Tyler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 09:37:13 pm »

nope not a fireball, I was just looking through some photos from this summer and came across this firefly that flew through the frame...lol

Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 09:55:40 pm »

firefly that flew through the frame.
Nah, that's obviously a meteor that's too drunk to fly straight!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Tyler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 05:50:36 am »

well, I have to get up early tommorow, so I only got to watch for about a half hour. I saw Four meteors, all about the same brightness. Caught one right next to orion, but I was in the city, so the light pollution made the photo terrible (not to mention the focus wasnt great) But here it is, It was as bright as betelguese when I saw it, It just moved so quick. I had to do some work with curves to bring it out fairly well.

Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 09:32:05 am »

You're lucky with the meteors, Tyler.  Smiley I was hoping for several clear nights around this weekend, but instead I have nothing: completely overcast here since Thursday.
Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 02:23:22 pm »

Well we were driving down to Ballynahinch to see some friends and both of us saw a single Geminid shoot across the top of Orion - this was around 1930 - mag 0 I'd guess - not a fireball but very obvious - it just happened to be right in front of us. Things clouded over after that.

P.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 02:34:57 pm »

Well done Tyler!, great capture and congrats on Spaceweather!. Like the firefly too.  Smiley

Just up after an all night session. The Geminids were fantastic. I didn't fare too well with the images but I seen some of the best fireballs since the Leonids of 2006. It was a great show. More details later....
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 03:10:02 pm »

Glad someone got to see something Martin. I stayed up til about 3am but the sky remained shrouded in cloud. It is still cloudy as I type this so tonight is not looking at all promising.  Sad
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum