Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 08:15:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

US Storms . June.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: US Storms . June.  (Read 430 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2008, 06:49:07 pm »

At last I've got these photos with a link.  Bottom left of the page is a choice of viewing options - I like mosaic. Bottom right you can change the background colour and also enlarge the image with the curser. I went to the US storm chasing in June with Tempest Tours.   A couple  of the photos  look out of focus but there were taken from inside the van as it travelled along at 45-50mph.I know one is the inverted anvil cloud( the shape that is) and another  was ,92, was taken through the windscreen The one of the tractor shows the sort of thing that can hold you up to the great annoyance of everyone,there were three of these we had to get past. We started in Denver June 9th. and returned June 19th having travelled through Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Kansas and New Mexico. On May 2nd. next year,  I'll be starting from Oklahoma City and returning May 16th so that's a fortnight this time.

After I took photo 27, the lightning,  we had to hi-tail out of there, as they said Lol. That was two CG's in one moment not a second Cg captured a second or two later with the aperture still open, the guides said it was too near for safety so we retreated to a safer distance. Photo 13 is a rare type of structure they told me and the white elongated cloud is inflow into the storm. It wasn't quite a supercell but was trying very hard .

http://gallery.me.com/arcusjohn#100022&bgcolor=black&view=grid A double click on the photo will enlarge it.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

stuart2588

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 07:59:27 pm »

They are great photos! I would love to go on a tour like that some year. Last summer while on holiday in Florida we were at Seaworlds water park called Aquatica, and we were evacuated to toilets as we were in a tornado warned area. Apparently it was a radar induced tornado. However there were no reports of it touching down.

Maybe in another year or so I will head out for a tour.

Stuart
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 10:16:45 pm »

Outstanding images of some great US storms, and so beautifully presented on that Gallery John. Thanks very much for posting them on here. Lovely structure to those huge cells, breathtaking mammatus, and great c-gs. Inspirational. I would love to do something like this with one of the tours in the future. I hope you get a chance to go back out again for round two!. Those images get the blood pumping.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 05:03:31 pm »

Thanks  for the  comments.  Some of those structures are just wonderful and awe- inspiring. Nature's art gallery, sculptured by the wind .

I'm already booked ,Martin, May 2-16th.. Maybe I'll get to see a tornado this time. Big events occur at the beginning of May as you know but they can  also  have several down, dead days at this early stage of the season but I go for the cloud structure and if I see a tornado  then it's a bonus. The £ has plummeted  ($1.45) but fortunately I saw it coming and paid at $1.86) back in July and I have $300 left over from this year and that was because it was at almost $2. I was getting fast food meals for £2 and proper ones for £8. If anyone is interested in doing a tour please give me a shout for info.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 06:54:38 pm »

I'm delighted to hear you are going again John. When the time comes to think about going myself I will ask you for advice first.

You are spot on about the structures, they are what every photographer is after, a tornado is just a great bonus. A magnificent supercell with striation rings, wall cloud, flanking towers, anvil, mammatus and shelf cloud has got to be the main trophy for any chaser. I wish you the best of luck John  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum