Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 10:13:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Poltava city as it seen by my camera

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Poltava city as it seen by my camera  (Read 1071 times)
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« on: December 05, 2008, 12:23:12 pm »

Some recent shots captured when I was walking across the city centre on a rainy day of Sep.23

Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 12:29:13 pm »

Nice shots Roman, I particularly like the monument.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 12:34:42 pm »

Nice shots Roman, I particularly like the monument.
Thanks John (jgs001). It is one of my favourite places in my city and BTW one of the best western horizons - from there you can observe (in good weather) the lands which are 15-25km away. But on that day the visibility was ugly, no more than 4-5 km.
(why I didn't try to capture a sunrise from that place, silly me...)

On of the views from there (but that stupid rain&haze ruin everything Sad )

P.S. It is also a great place to make a panoramic hi-res photo Smiley
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 12:41:01 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Poltava Astronomy Portal
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 12:54:13 pm »

Enjoy the winter shots! (Jan.21, 2008)

And it is a river! (below)  Grin

Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 03:47:11 pm »

Very nice Roman, looks a lovely place with plenty of history I bet?
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
rjgjr
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 04:16:44 pm »

Hello Roman, Such a beautiful area. Are the winters on the mild side, or can it be very cold? I bet the spring time brings a lot of green and flowers! very nice.

Richard
Report Spam   Logged
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 04:48:49 pm »

You live in a beautiful city Roman, Thanks for sharing these pictures.

I really enjoyed that first one with the monument, that is some view up there, eh?
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 07:21:29 pm »

That's a very striking monument. Roman..could you tell us what the buildings/monuments are  please.? The second photo looks like a government  or local government building . There's the column in the park too  and what's the name of the  frozen river ? By the time you've finished we'll all be booking a holiday there Lol. You don't work for the tourist industry do you ? Lol...
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 09:16:20 pm »

Thanks for your comments, guys  Smiley

Wow, so many questions about the history & architecture, that I need some time before answer...   Roll Eyes

to Richard:
I can't compare my climate with the climate of Oregon. But I'll try to shortly describe my winters.
Usually winter lasts here from late November till late Feb/early Mar. with av.temperature -4C, max. ~+5C, min down to -20C (sometimes even lower) and a nice amount of snow (up to 30...50cm), which lays on the ground for more than 2 months.
But several recent winters (2003...2008) were very mild (maybe it is caused by global warming). Temperature dropped below zero in late December, and mild frosts lasted until mid-February. Av.temperature was close to zero (-2...0C), minimum below -15C were very rare. Also much less of snow, which often is unstable, or lays on the ground for less than 1-2 weeks, not higher than 20-30cm.
What I'm experiencing now is a great anomaly. Temperature rises up to +10...+13C while it must be near zero. Outside it looks more like October or April, but not like December.
P.S. Is your winter in Oregon much different from mine?

to John C.:
The river name is Vorskla, it is one of the 3 big rivers in Poltava region, which fall into Dnipro. In winter it usually get covered with ice for a month (sometimes only for a few weeks, sometimes almost during all winter).
You don't work for the tourist industry do you ? Lol...
No, but often I'm a customer of those  Wink Nevertheless I know my city enough well to be a tourist guide.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 03:13:58 pm »

I have made a panoramic image from these 1 year old captures.
This is the view from the point exactly near the monument which you can see in my first post. I bet you this view can be much more spectacular in a case of good weather.

larger size (3297x700, 496kB)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 03:19:50 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
rjgjr
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 04:14:44 pm »

That's a great panorama Roman. You'll have to try again on a clear Spring day with puffy, white cumulus. Now that would be spectacular! Good job.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 10:53:59 pm »

Nice pano. Roman. I was just working on panos today with photos I took a few weks ago  , I haven't quite cracked it yet, one lesson learnt - don't have telephone wires in it, they're so hard to join.
Are you using Photoshop Merge or another software ?  I hear Arcsoft is good but someone said that if you get the join wrong it can't be undone,you have to start all  over again.

Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 11:56:33 pm »

A really great set of images Roman love the winter scenes, you're doing a great job with the sp-550  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 10:08:48 am »

Thank you for the comments!

Are you using Photoshop Merge or another software ? 
I've made it with Hugin software. This wasn't my first panorama, but one of the first ones.  Wink

It could be better if I'd use tripod not handheld, and (yes, Richard) fair weather with Sun will help a lot!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum