Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 18, 2024, 09:27:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Where have all the clear skies gone?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where have all the clear skies gone?  (Read 1170 times)
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2008, 02:37:33 pm »

I think what one of the more frustrating aspects of the recent weather is the way that for some nights the sunsets look beautiful, the sky begins to take on that dark blue colour and even the brighter stars start to appear.  The moment a piece of astro equipment appears outdoors the clouds rush in and covers everything.  It has now got to the stage where I'm reluctant to set up the tripod for fear that the moment the scope is mounted the stars will vanish.
It would be worse if you go home and the sky will clear up  Wink

It was completely clear here all last night. Interesting that I had no telescope out though. Maybe there is something in that cloud-telescope law.
Maybe it does exist. What I know exactly - the observer-NLC law exists.
1. When you're observing (for many hours, with camera on the tripod, under the clear skies) - nothing appears;
2. When you're not expecting for NLCs - they always arrive;
3. When you are imaging NLCs - the camera batteries get empty. (in this reason I always have another batteries with me)

Here in Poltava the weather is perfect since Sunday (Jul.20). It is very hot (+30...+35C) in the daytime and very warm (comfortable +18...+23C) at night. Clear in the daytime, and very clear at night. But the such beautiful weather will end tommorrow; rain is forecasted for the weekend.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum