Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 10:46:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

It's That Time Of Year Again!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: It's That Time Of Year Again!  (Read 1955 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: November 30, 2008, 10:41:34 pm »

I might get a 'cold' response by putting these up now. This weekend we decided to put up our Christmas tree since December begins on Monday. Amazing how fast the year flies in. Here's my tree taken late at night in the living room with my two dogs resting on the carpet.

I can sense the back lash already - but I love Christmas  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 11:00:11 pm »

Much thanks for that warm Christmas tree  Smiley I also like Christmas time very much.

I will post just the same image but with my two cats  Grin ... but later, much later - we usually put up our Christmas tree after Dec. 20th or even later. Maybe you have a good tradition to do it so early...
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 11:19:54 pm »

Lips sealed
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 09:30:04 am »

Looking lovely and warm Martin. Bit early for us as well, nother couple of weeks here.

Did you use a star effects filter for the diffraction patterns or was the lens stopped way down ?
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
Steveo74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 10:59:08 am »

Great images Martin, I love this time of year... Merry Christmas everyone...  Cheesy Grin Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks,
         Steven..

Visit my Blog http://steviesskyshack.blogspot.com

Visit my Flickr  http://www.flickriver.com/photos/16671294@N07/
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 11:11:09 am »

Lol..the photo is good, Martin cosy and warm  but re. putting up a tree , I leave it as late as possible and then my wife gives me a dig ( she loves christmas) and I go into the attic and get the plastic one down Plastic  ?? Yes, guys, I can't be doing with the mess of the pine needles.. Actually, I was in the attic a couple of days ago and looked at the tree and thought, stone me, another year gone. It will go up on the 22nd (ish) .It comes down on the 1st.

I have a theory about time passing quickly. It's because we can't backtrack on a daily, weekly basis - if you were to mentally  relive the time it wouldn't seem to go by so fast- we just jump from now back to last December when we  last put the tree up (this applies to anything of course,annual holidays, birthdays etc.) My career has flown by but not really. I sat down one day and tried to go through everything, the main events, and after a while I realised it really was quite a long time and it didn't 'fly by'- apologies for digressing from the christmas flavour of the post. Lol.
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 09:24:13 pm »

Did you use a star effects filter for the diffraction patterns or was the lens stopped way down ?
I'm also curious, how did you get such nice stars on the tree? Please explain it, Martin.

I have a theory about time passing quickly. It's because we can't backtrack on a daily, weekly basis - if you were to mentally  relive the time it wouldn't seem to go by so fast- we just jump from now back to last December when we  last put the tree up (this applies to anything of course,annual holidays, birthdays etc.) My career has flown by but not really. I sat down one day and tried to go through everything, the main events, and after a while I realised it really was quite a long time and it didn't 'fly by'- apologies for digressing from the christmas flavour of the post. Lol.
I agree with that. E.g., I thought recently that the 2008 passed very quickly. Why I had that thought? - Because I immediately recalled January (and by the way forgot the spring&summer). But if (as you said) sit down, and one by one recall all the main events which happened with me during every month, I can say that it was very and very long year.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Poltava Astronomy Portal
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 09:32:11 pm »

nice images Martin, I love the way the colored lights cast shadows in all directions. I like the 'star affect' of the lights too.

It is also this time of year...

Our first snow, only a half inch, but I had to take some pictures. lol
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 02:11:31 pm »

Wow! How many comets!  Wink

Nice to see your first snow, Tyler. It was possible to stay in a t-shirt outside?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 02:13:32 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 05:08:02 pm »

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Enjoyed reading all those posts and reactions, as well as John C's discussion.

John, I closed the aperture down to get the spikes on the lights. That was actually a 5 sec exp at ISO100 at F/8.

Nice image Tyler. Very atmospheric. The red sky is very nice.

I still think you guys put up your trees too late  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 05:14:45 pm »

I still think you guys put up your trees too late  Grin
I would also wish to put up my Christmas tree not later than in a week, but my family thinks in another way  Sad
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 02:46:12 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 09:40:06 pm »

LOl, that's a very good banner going across  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 09:48:44 pm »

haha, 27 days till the next conjunction too! Im suprised our tree is not up yet, probably will be this weekend.
Report Spam   Logged

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 10:05:03 pm »

Ours has now gone up..

Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
Tyler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 02:36:53 am »

Hey nice photos John, I like how crisp that second one is.

Our tree went up today as well...

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum