Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 05:03:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Torrential rain and wind in the early hours of this morning?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Torrential rain and wind in the early hours of this morning?  (Read 387 times)
stuart2588

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2008, 03:04:57 pm »

Hi all

I was lying in bed around 3am - 430am and I was woke by a howling wind and rain that actually felt like it was going to blow in my windows. Did anybody else experience this? I am in Newtownabbey. I meant to get up to have a look but I drifted back to sleep again. Maybe it was all a dream lol. But it sure did sound rough outside. Lovely and calm this morning though.

Stuart
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 03:13:50 pm »

Hi Stuart

You are not the only one. I'm glad of your report because there has been little mention of last nights weather on the usual weather forums. We got hit pretty badly last night with the winds and rain, the sound was horrible. What you heard was the arrival of an active cold front sweeping down from the NW. Although no serious convection was associated with it, ESTOFEX did mention about the risk of strong winds and that tornadoes couldn't be ruled out.

It passed over very quickly here though. The winds and rain last week during the level 1 alert was the worst I have seen this year since the big storm last Jan. I honestly thought a wet microburst was occuring over Maghera during the early hours of the morning.

Thanks for the report. Did anyone else hear anything?
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 03:26:18 pm »

Did anyone else hear anything?
Nope, slept through it ... but I don't think there was much to sleep through here, the ground was damp but not soaked first thing though from the look of the sky & the barometer trace the front wasn't long gone.
Report Spam   Logged
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 03:42:09 pm »

Nothing too bad here but there was enough wind to take some felt off my garden shed roof Angry
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum