Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 10:30:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Volcanic Sunset - Nov 24th

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Volcanic Sunset - Nov 24th  (Read 503 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2008, 10:42:10 pm »

Seen a very nice 'volcanic sunset' this evening in the form of a wide spead diffuse pink and purple after-glow. The image looks nothing like the real scene. With the naked eye I could see pink rays radiating up from the set point long after the sun set. To the lower L the sky looked on a fire with a brilliant orange/sandy base-glow. This lasted as an after-glow for a long time after twilight into dusk. It was still visible around 17.30 when I was imaging the planets. Not a very nice image but it was a different story visually.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 12:32:39 am by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 11:03:01 pm »

Like you Martin I had great difficulty getting an image of this that conveyed the atmosphere. Here's one attempt....

And this is an out of camera jpg (the other is RAW) - the camera's set to "vivid" which does what it says on the tin as otherwise its jpgs look flat and lifeless....

Neither looks anything like the scene before me this eveing - it's one of those areas where photography isn't quite there yet!

Paul.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 11:09:21 pm by paul » Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 12:13:47 am »

Here's one of mine taken through a double glazed front window!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 04:45:18 am »

very nice shots guys, it hard to believe that erruption is still affecting our skies three months later!
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 09:10:11 pm »

Very nice photos  Smiley Martin, your shot here is very close to what I often saw visually, but you're right - they look much better visually than on the photo.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum